Rawland rSogn fits 2.35" Schwalbe Hans Dampf

Jeremy Keith Spencer

Jan 25, 2015, 7:40:37 PM1/25/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com
Ready for some Pacific NW mud and exploration.

Fred Blasdel

Jan 26, 2015, 7:37:29 PM1/26/15
to Jeremy Keith Spencer, 650b
I have some Hans Dampfs and they're extreme overkill on an rSogn especially in the PNWet — they're better suited to a 6" FS bike getting hucked in decomposing rock

You'd be much better off with Rocket Rons, not that you're going to be getting especially rad on retentionless quill pedals

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 4:40 PM, Jeremy Keith Spencer <jeremy.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ready for some Pacific NW mud and exploration.

Jeremy Keith Spencer

Jan 26, 2015, 8:30:14 PM1/26/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com, jeremy.k...@gmail.com
Hey, Fred

Thanks for assuming that I'm a chump who doesn't have a clue what he's doing or know where or what he's riding, etc. I wanted and needed an option for more suspension/float and more traction in gumbo-y mud, sand, etc., all problems encountered in... the PNW! Among other places this bike goes. As for getting rad with "retentionless quill pedals," I ride MTB park-style singletrack, huck, etc., on this thing. Post Canyon, Hood River? Oregon and California and Washington nat'l forest trails, gravel and singletrack and muck and bushwhacking? Yes. Have taken it all over Marin County on trails where everybody else was on fully suspended carbon MTBs. Five-foot drops at speed on unstable terrain? Yep. All on this bike.

I appreciate that you aren't riding this bike like I am and that for you these are "extreme overkill," and I appreciate that you don't get "especially rad" unless you're clipped in. But, you know, maybe watch your condescending tone? I'd be much better off without it.

I posted this to show fat-tire fit on a bike I like and thought others might like as well. It was an FYI post.

As for Rocket Ron, I like the Quasi Moto better. Have both. I think the point of the Hans Dampf is multipurpose high-volume with deep knobs; seems fine to me for all kinds of riding situations. Hell, I might run me some extreme overkill on the Oregon Outback. Maybe come along and snort and sneer and laugh!

Thanks.

Mike Schiller

Jan 26, 2015, 10:43:27 PM1/26/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com, jeremy.k...@gmail.com
5 foot drops on an rSogn.... pictures or it didn't happen! ( just kidding)  You must have some skillz.

~mike
Carlsbad Ca

Fred Blasdel

Jan 26, 2015, 11:23:06 PM1/26/15
to Jeremy Keith Spencer, 650b
Wow you really have no idea who you're talking to, I'm the very last person you'd want to get in a dickwaving contest with about where you've ridden a low trail bike

Still I'm glad to see someone else is taking their rSogn freeriding. I rode my old one at Duthie Hill a number of times before replacing it with a custom, doing drops and gap jumps with the eDelux flickering away.

Sorry your bike screams "chump" with the crosstop levers, retroshift, mini-DH tires, and yes especially the rat trap pedals.

I wasn't saying you need clipless, pinned platform pedals with grippy shoes totally count as foot retention. Even the Rivendellers have come to recognize them as great, and you should really re-evaluate what you're doing when you out-retrogrouch Grant.

Fred Blasdel

Jan 26, 2015, 11:54:01 PM1/26/15
On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 5:30 PM, Jeremy Keith Spencer <jeremy.k...@gmail.com> wrote:

As for Rocket Ron, I like the Quasi Moto better. Have both.

I could see that if you ride mostly in rock with very little dirt or wet. I mostly only use the Ron as a front tire, with a Ralph or Burt in the back.

I think the point of the Hans Dampf is multipurpose high-volume with deep knobs; seems fine to me for all kinds of riding situations.

It's extremely slow outside of gravity conditions, unsuitable for a drop bar bike that you're riding to the tech.

It's an all-rounder in the All Mountain MTB sense of being able to ride your bike uphill instead of needing a shuttle, not the the All Road backcountry touring sense.

Hell, I might run me some extreme overkill on the Oregon Outback. Maybe come along and snort and sneer and laugh!

I did it last year on Thunder Burts and they were more than enough tire, even carrying a decadent amount of stuff: https://www.flickr.com/photos/waldo/sets/72157644940978462/

The route is 100% road and only the tiniest bit is anything but graded mainlines you could drive the speed limit on in a Prius. The people using full bikepacking gear on 29+ bikes are being a bit daft.

Jeremy Keith Spencer

Jan 27, 2015, 12:01:10 AM1/27/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com, jeremy.k...@gmail.com
Big fat tires help, Mike!

Chris Cullum

Jan 27, 2015, 12:02:41 AM1/27/15
to Jeremy Keith Spencer, 65...@googlegroups.com

On Jan 26, 2015 9:01 PM, "Jeremy Keith Spencer" <jeremy.k...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Big fat tires help, Mike!

More cushion for the pushin'.

> On Monday, January 26, 2015 at 7:43:27 PM UTC-8, Mike Schiller wrote:
>>
>> 5 foot drops on an rSogn.... pictures or it didn't happen! ( just kidding)  You must have some skillz.
>>
>> ~mike
>> Carlsbad Ca

Jeremy Keith Spencer

Jan 27, 2015, 12:07:03 AM1/27/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com, jeremy.k...@gmail.com
You're the hater/troll/douche/elitist prick who started running his mouth off and actually wrote the phrases "you really have no idea who you're talking to" and that you're THE "very last person" I'd "want to get in a dickwaving contest with about where you've ridden a low trail bike." LOLz for days!!! Let me use a cliché real quick: "Who the FUCK do you think you are?"

And at the Outback, did you wave your insecure little dick at all the chump retards who didn't have their kit dialed just sooo, just like your sweet little Elephant? I bet you did, cuz you're That Guy, didn't you?

So... Who *am* I talking to? I'm really, really curious, Fred. Drop some science on me, bro. I wanna hear the legend!

Jeremy Keith Spencer

Jan 27, 2015, 12:21:35 AM1/27/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com, jeremy.k...@gmail.com
I came in peace. Fred drew first blood, Eric.

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 9:16 PM, eric moss wrote:
Tone down the language, please.

Both of you are overreacting, and the escalation is making this forum unpleasant.

Chris Cullum

Jan 27, 2015, 12:27:21 AM1/27/15

On Jan 26, 2015 9:21 PM, "Jeremy Keith Spencer" <jeremy.k...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I came in peace. Fred drew first blood, Eric.
>

> On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 9:16 PM, eric moss wrote:
>>
>> Tone down the language, please.
>>
>> Both of you are overreacting, and the escalation is making this forum unpleasant.

Unpleasant or entertaining?

Can we get back to talking about tire seating issues on Synergies?

> On Monday, January 26, 2015 at 9:07:03 PM UTC-8, Jeremy Keith Spencer wrote:
>>
>> You're the hater/troll/douche/elitist prick who started running his mouth off and actually wrote the phrases "you really have no idea who you're talking to" and that you're THE "very last person" I'd "want to get in a dickwaving contest with about where you've ridden a low trail bike." LOLz for days!!! Let me use a cliché real quick: "Who the FUCK do you think you are?"
>>
>> And at the Outback, did you wave your insecure little dick at all the chump retards who didn't have their kit dialed just sooo, just like your sweet little Elephant? I bet you did, cuz you're That Guy, didn't you?
>>
>> So... Who *am* I talking to? I'm really, really curious, Fred. Drop some science on me, bro. I wanna hear the legend!
>>

>> On Monday, January 26, 2015 at 8:23:06 PM UTC-8, Fred Blasdel wrote:
>>>
>>> Wow you really have no idea who you're talking to, I'm the very last person you'd want to get in a dickwaving contest with about where you've ridden a low trail bike
>>>
>>> Still I'm glad to see someone else is taking their rSogn freeriding. I rode my old one at Duthie Hill a number of times before replacing it with a custom, doing drops and gap jumps with the eDelux flickering away.
>>>

>>> Sorry your bike screams "chump" with the crosstop levers, retroshift, mini-DH tires, and yes especially the rat trap pedals.
>>>
>>> I wasn't saying you need clipless, pinned platform pedals with grippy shoes totally count as foot retention. Even the Rivendellers have come to recognize them as great, and you should really re-evaluate what you're doing when you out-retrogrouch Grant.

Jeremy Keith Spencer

Jan 27, 2015, 12:32:29 AM1/27/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com, jeremy.k...@gmail.com
I bought the Hans Dampfs for climbing up and rolling down mucky steep stuff, so "suitable," thanks, wise counselor.

Rick Johnson

Jan 27, 2015, 12:47:59 AM1/27/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com
I get my fill of smack talk from UFC and Bellator.
But thanks for trying.

Rick Johnson
Bend Oregon

* * *

On 1/26/2015 9:27 PM, Chris Cullum wrote:
> Unpleasant or entertaining?

Fred Blasdel

Jan 27, 2015, 1:48:16 AM1/27/15
On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 9:07 PM, Jeremy Keith Spencer <jeremy.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
You're the hater/troll/douche/elitist prick who started running his mouth off and actually wrote the phrases "you really have no idea who you're talking to" and that you're THE "very last person" I'd "want to get in a dickwaving contest with about where you've ridden a low trail bike." LOLz for days!!! Let me use a cliché real quick: "Who the FUCK do you think you are?"

Well for starters I'm the list moderator who approved your first posts this afternoon, excepting the one where you made an unprompted and unsubstantiated jab at SOMA.

I'm also responsible for convincing Sean to spec the hourglass rack mounts you're using on the rSogn fork, though I wasn't able to get him to locate the pump peg correctly.

You blew up at me saying "you aren't riding this bike like I am" but I rode mine about 7000 miles before selling it including multiple cross-state dirt tours and a brevet series, but it didn't look nearly as clean as yours when I sold it to a friend. In total I've put nearly 25000 mixed-terrain miles on low-trail front-load 650b bikes, including a lot of bike camping, alpine singletrack, and 100% of my grocery shopping for 4 years (until I got my first cycletruck).

And at the Outback, did you wave your insecure little dick at all the chump retards who didn't have their kit dialed just sooo, just like your sweet little Elephant? I bet you did, cuz you're That Guy, didn't you?

No most of that sass was from the people with the bikepacking/pukebacking/pushwacking gear themselves, mocking each other's soft bags swaying like truck nuts. The official joke of the Oregon Outback was "Can you toss me my seat bag? It's the black x-pac one!"

I did make fun of Donnie in Shaniko when he was puzzled that nobody's racks had broken, though I did give him a beer first (I'd bought all the cold beer in town before the store closed so I could give handups)

So... Who *am* I talking to? I'm really, really curious, Fred. Drop some science on me, bro. I wanna hear the legend!

For the legend you'll have to visit Seattle for a Point83 ride, or wade into the deep end at http://tarckbike.com

Jeremy Keith Spencer

Jan 27, 2015, 2:53:19 AM1/27/15
to Fred Blasdel, 650b
Tag.

On Monday, January 26, 2015 at 10:48:16 PM UTC-8, Fred Blasdel wrote:

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 9:07 PM, Jeremy Keith Spencer <jeremy.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
You're the hater/troll/douche/elitist prick who started running his mouth off and actually wrote the phrases "you really have no idea who you're talking to" and that you're THE "very last person" I'd "want to get in a dickwaving contest with about where you've ridden a low trail bike." LOLz for days!!! Let me use a cliché real quick: "Who the FUCK do you think you are?"

Well for starters I'm the list moderator who approved your first posts this afternoon, excepting the one where you made an unprompted and unsubstantiated jab at SOMA.

Unsubstantiated? I put a couple hundred miles on one of those and found it sorely lacking. It's a ripoff and poorly done, a bandwagon bike. And you're the list moderator?! Yawn. A list moderator that needs to be moderated cuz he's a troll.

I'm also responsible for convincing Sean to spec the hourglass rack mounts you're using on the rSogn fork, though I wasn't able to get him to locate the pump peg correctly.

According to your opinion, right? Congrats.

You blew up at me saying "you aren't riding this bike like I am" but I rode mine about 7000 miles before selling it including multiple cross-state dirt tours and a brevet series, but it didn't look nearly as clean as yours when I sold it to a friend. In total I've put nearly 25000 mixed-terrain miles on low-trail front-load 650b bikes, including a lot of bike camping, alpine singletrack, and 100% of my grocery shopping for 4 years (until I got my first cycletruck).

I didn't blow up at you. I reacted to the "unprompted" jerk commentary on what usually seems to be a civil list of people into bikes and stuff. You trolled and hated and talked smack when you had absolutely no clue what I'm doing with this bike and why I have those tires on it right now and where I'm riding and what on earth might have prompted me, after 36+yrs of riding year-round, to think I might want some fat knobbies for certain places I like to ride and could use some fat knobbies on. Ever think I might have more than one set of tires for this bike? I do! A bunch. Crazy, I know. Also, I keep my bikes clean. I take good care of them. I guess that's chumpy, too. And I'll see your mileage and raise you. Yawn. Who cares? You care, insecure troll Fred.

And at the Outback, did you wave your insecure little dick at all the chump retards who didn't have their kit dialed just sooo, just like your sweet little Elephant? I bet you did, cuz you're That Guy, didn't you?

No most of that sass was from the people with the bikepacking/pukebacking/pushwacking gear themselves, mocking each other's soft bags swaying like truck nuts. The official joke of the Oregon Outback was "Can you toss me my seat bag? It's the black x-pac one!"

I did make fun of Donnie in Shaniko when he was puzzled that nobody's racks had broken, though I did give him a beer first (I'd bought all the cold beer in town before the store closed so I could give handups)

Judgy and grudgy and not to be forgotten, that's for sure, Mr. Moderator. Even if you kept all the hatin' inside.

So... Who *am* I talking to? I'm really, really curious, Fred. Drop some science on me, bro. I wanna hear the legend!

For the legend you'll have to visit Seattle for a Point83 ride, or wade into the deep end at http://tarckbike.com

Yawnz. Pass. Troll on, Mr. Moderator. Also, I noticed on your Flickr how you've obviously put a buncha [say, 8,000?] miles in on cross levers and retroshift/Gevenalle and you know from what's stupid chumpy nonworking BS, amirite? Cuz it don't look like what you think cool looks like, not because you're talking out of your ass. I saw photos of you riding with crew rocking some of the same stupid BS, but I guess you were just racing past those loseurs, amirite? No riding buddies of yours, no, sir. Not with that chump shit that doesn't make any sense or work at all or have any point. I also like how you have your bars and brifters set up to *look* all stupid and ass-backwards and over-rotated and ill-positioned and wrist-wrecking like you're a clueless poseur douche when we all know you're no chump. You're a legend, baby! I sure won't be forgetting you anytime soon.

Jeff Piwonka

Jan 27, 2015, 9:23:55 AM1/27/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com, blas...@gmail.com
dick waggin aside, how are you going to go about breaking that brooks in?
also, i'm not clear, is that a new bike build or what?

looks great!!

one other question, why are those rack struts bent like that?

jaypea

Jan 27, 2015, 9:46:15 AM1/27/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com
This is fun. Have my popcorn here.

eric moss

Jan 27, 2015, 11:16:50 AM1/27/15
to 650b
OK, I've had it with the swearing and personal put-downs.  You are not adding to this group at all at this point.  Whoever is moderating this at the moment, I'm asking as a well-behaving member that this guy be removed from the list if he doesn't tone it down.

Justin August

Jan 27, 2015, 1:46:46 PM1/27/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com
I agree. Both of these folks are causing me to want to unsubscribe. Mostly Fred but ignoring is the best way to banish trolls.

-J

Daniel Eells

Jan 27, 2015, 2:15:04 PM1/27/15
to Jeff Piwonka, 650b, blas...@gmail.com
The rack looks like a nitto mini campee (32F) and it comes like that.  It uses dedicated rack brazeons on the fork legs and I assume was made to be able to clear canti brakes.  Rivendell has carried them for a long time.

Daniel

Jeremy Keith Spencer

Jan 28, 2015, 10:21:59 PM1/28/15
On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 6:23:55 AM UTC-8, Jeff Piwonka wrote:
dick waggin aside, how are you going to go about breaking that brooks in?

That saddle has ~3k miles on it and feels great all day. I don't recall it ever not being comfortable, even brand-new. It was a special version that came on that Dahon Tournado full-size thing Grant designed, with the Ritchey Breakaway frame.

also, i'm not clear, is that a new bike build or what?

No, about 2.5yrs old. I just was surprised I could fit the Hans Dampfs. These things proved themselves on the first ride, clearing mud/dirt/litter/gravel climbs that Quasi-Motos were slipping out on. Plus more sproing on the way down for the loop-de-loop launches. My favorite tires for this bike right now are those two, plus Thunder Burt for gravel and fire roads and rolling singletrack.

looks great!!

Thanks, it's a blast, plus I can camp and tour on it.

one other question, why are those rack struts bent like that?

That's the Nitto Campee Front, angled to clear cantis. That's how it comes.