"Symbols" FORK merged with MAIN

The Beez

Dec 13, 2017, 9:09:36 AM12/13/17
to 4tH-compiler
Hi 4tH-ers!

It may have been a quiet revolution for you, but this weekend I merged the temporary fork (with names support) with the main line. The new version is now my default 4tH to work with. That's always a bit scary the first time, but I'm confident it will all work out fine.

I'm currently working on a Timsort variant. This is a hybrid sorting algorithm and uses Mergesort and Insertionsort.

The first thing I did was to make the fastest Insertionsort I could make - which BTW is the Binary Insertionsort. It uses a binary search to find the position where the current element has to be placed. And it's FAST. The OPTIMIZED Insertionsort does 100,000 elements in 2 mins. This one does it in 2 SECS. That's Circlesort speeds!

Now I have to test whether that increase in speeds is kept up with very few elements (16 - 64). If so, I may be able to give Introsort (which is an Insertionsort/Heapsort/Quicksort hybrid) a boost as well.

Note the holidays are coming up and that may give me the time to do some real development.

Hans Bezemer