New Dimension - Why not include an option in Google Earth to view user generated models mixed with Google models?

Auquicu

Jun 6, 2012, 11:17:49 PM6/6/12
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
The 3D modeling communitiy is quite surprised, and frustrated with todays Google anouncement.

I wonder why does Google decide to include an option to let users view in Google Earth models, either 100% created by Google with their new technology, or to choose to view mixed Google and users models.
This way, Google Earth will be much better and the community will be happier.

Can a Googler suggest this to the big guys at the company?

Athinaios

Jun 7, 2012, 12:44:14 AM6/7/12
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
I think none of us is against this new technology - let's face it - everything needs to develop, to meet and set new standards and raise the bar to achieve better results. However the way it is going to be changed seems to be very unfair for us, Geo-modelers.

The idea that Jorge proposed would be a great compromise - new, great technology + our carefully made models. Everybody admit that the quality of the new 3D models won't be as nice as sketch-up models in some cases. So, why not to make an exception for buildings that needs special care like churches, stadiums? Personally I don't think that lowering the quality in GE is a good move. You should be guys proud and be even more important - lucky, that you have people who do this great work for you for free, who are passionate about it, make GE a better place to look at, and love it, like me and many, many others. I totally understand that wasn't an easy choice to get rid of our models to make space for new ones. In my humble opinion it was a wrong decision, because you want to be completely relying on self-generating program and completely destroying the human factor in creating models. A program can't make beautifully crafted details, focus on every aspect of the building, especially on the building that one admire. We were making GE a really special place and it seems that someone didn't really appreciate our work and commitment. I feel pretty devastated that one of my models that I've been working on it for 2,5 yrs (and probably one more till completion) -1WTC would eventually be replaced with a dull self-generated model.

That's a disgrace for the whole community and I really hope that there is still time and will(?) to make it work together. I try to stay optimistic :)

What about imagery? How often is going to be changing? 2-4 yrs? If so, we shouldn't be able to see any activity in a particular area for years! Let's say NYC - there are always numerous buildings being under construction and we won't be even able to add them since the imagery won't show them  - that's ridiculous! :@

There really should be a re-think about the whole situation, because you're going to loose so many people that were trying to make GE a better program to use, at least in 3D.

Best,
Filip

CraigD - Google

Jun 7, 2012, 11:32:22 AM6/7/12
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Auquicu, thank you for sharing your ideas. We have thought carefully about all of the options (ones similar to what you have suggested and many more) and have decided that we cannot mix SketchUp and 3D imagery models in the same location (based on many factors, some of which I cannot share publicly).

However, we will continue to have many areas where SketchUp models will continue to display, and it will of course take time to convert large cities to 3D imagery modeling, so in those cities there will be SketchUp and Building Maker models for a time. In this way, we will have what you suggest, a mix of SketchUp, Building Maker, and 3D imagery models.

Cheers,

     - CraigD

Cox, David

Jun 7, 2012, 11:43:11 AM6/7/12
to 3d...@googlegroups.com

Craig, this is where I’m starting to get confused.  I thought they were only implementing the new layer on the MOBILE platform, where Sketchup models don’t currently have a layer.  Are you suggesting now that this isn’t just for Google Earth Mobile?  Also, I understand that they can’t be in the same location on the same layer, but they should be able to be on a separate layer.

- via the 3D Warehouse site: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/forum
- via Google Groups: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/3dwh

CraigD - Google

Jun 7, 2012, 11:48:23 AM6/7/12
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Athinaios, I often value your opinion and understand how this must feel to you and many modelers.  I recognize that this seems unfair, and we really tried to figure out a way to do this change in a fair way, but in some situations there is just no way to make everyone happy.  This change in no way represents a lack of respect and appreciation for the many excellent modelers here.  We just had to make a major change to continue to lead this technology into the next phase.  This is just the beginning of the evolution and we don't yet have a full roadmap for the future, but as I said to Jorge, we will continue to have SketchUp models in Google Earth for some time. This change will not happen overnight, and some areas may even be unfeasible to convert to 3D imagery models.

I can't speculate on the update frequency, but as often happens here, we try our very hardest to update often with the most current information available. We have traffic information in Mobile Maps that updates in minutes even!  I anticipate more frequent updates, but it may be some time before we can match the speed of updates of modelers like you.

Again, I appreciate your frustration and wish there was a way to please everyone. I know this is difficult to see happen, and it was a very very difficult decision to make. I hope that you continue to watch the development of this new technology and stay involved in the community and modeling.

Cheers,

    - CraigD
Message has been deleted

CraigD - Google

Jun 7, 2012, 11:54:16 AM6/7/12
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Davenport GIS, sorry for the confusion.  Here is the official press release FAQ on that subject:

Why is this only available on mobile? Will auto-generated buildings be available on Earth for desktop in the future?
Increasingly, users want to access information - be it text or geographical - while on the go. We’re excited to soon offer these 3D cities and tours on Google Earth for mobiles and tablets. We’re working to provide a consistent user experience across both mobile and desktop, and hope to announce a desktop version as soon as possible.

jjasper123

Jun 7, 2012, 3:04:26 PM6/7/12
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
As an experienced (nearly 5 years) Google Earth modeler, I am equally saddened at the news, but I honestly can't see this idea feasible, from a technological persective. If I'm (or a typical user) is browsing Google Maps on their phone or tablet, we're not going to want that extra interface to switch between two layers. To be honest, Google is making a great and necessary step forward with this, and they're doing it right and they're doing it to stay competitive (with Apple, mostly). Just because I'm being overshadowed, it doesn't make me mad at all. I'm proud of Google and of my years of work.

CraigD - Google

Jun 7, 2012, 3:12:55 PM6/7/12
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joseph (jjasper123), I appreciate your perspective on this. We had a very tough time coming to the same conclusion. My team is a small band of modelers, and although we work on a daily basis on a lot of new technology to produce 3D data for Google Earth and Maps/Maps Mobile, we're all SketchUp modelers and contributors to Google Earth's 3D Buildings layer.  We understood what this new method for creating 3D cities meant for our community, and it's been tough to see the inevitable sadness. Just wanted to say thanks for the support and that we really do appreciate all of the hard work this community has done over the last few years.

Cheers,

    - CraigD