How the Pipeline Works [updated]

Google Guide Alex

Mar 26, 2012, 1:17:08 PM3/26/12
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
**Updated version. Step 2 was missing in the 3/21/2012 post. The rest of the article remains the same**

Those of you using the English version of the 3D Warehouse may have noticed more detailed Status descriptions on your models. Users of the 3D Warehouse in any other language will soon also be noticing these status changes.

Here the focus is to explain what those states mean and how they fit into the pipeline that ushers your models from the 3D Warehouse through to the Live 3D Buildings layer in Google Earth.

Let’s start with a basic flowchart [also attached]. Next I’ll go more in depth to each step.

  1. Model is uploaded to the 3D Warehouse and is marked “Google Earth Ready”
  2. 3D Warehouse checks the KMZ for any issues. If issues are found you’ll see “Status - Failed Processing” on the model details page.
    • For a SKP upload, the 3D Warehouse will first generate the KMZ, then check.
  3. Model is sent to Quality Review Level 1. At this point, you’ll see “Status - Awaiting Review”.
    • In Level 1 your model is judged by 3 reviewers who mark Accept, “I don’t know” or Reject based on the Acceptance Criteria. Each reviewer spends 15 - 40 seconds per model using an internal tool that shows imagery of the model in Google Earth and information from the 3D Warehouse.
      • YES: If 2 or more reviewers Accept, or any of the reviewers answer “I don’t know,” you’ll see “Status - Awaiting Duplicate Review”.
      • REJECT: If 2 or more reviewers Reject, the model is rejected for the appropriate reasons and you’ll see “Status - Not accepted at this time” and accompanying reasoning.
  4. The 3D Warehouse determines whether the model requires Duplicate Review using the following checks: Does the model overlap any “Accepted” or “Better Model Exists” models in the 3D Warehouse?; Is the model in a sensitive area [eg. the World Trade Center in NYC?]?; Did a reviewer mark the model “I don’t know”?
    • YES: If the answer to any of these questions is ‘Yes’ the model moves to the Duplicate Review queue and you’ll continue to see “Status - Awaiting Duplicate Review”.
    • NO: If the answer to all of these questions is ‘No’ the model is marked accepted and you’ll see “Status - Accepted to the ‘3D Buildings’ layer - Coming soon
  5. If sent to the Duplicate Review Queue the model is judged by a senior reviewer who spends several minutes reviewing the model with an internal tool showing a Google Earth viewer with the model[s] loaded and information from the 3D Warehouse.
    • ACCEPT: If your model is the best model and it meets the Acceptance Criteria you’ll see “Status - Accepted to the ‘3D Buildings’ layer - Coming soon
    • REJECT: If there is a better model or your model doesn’t meet the Acceptance Criteria you’ll see “Status - Not accepted at this time” and accompanying reasoning [Better Model Exists, Incomplete Texturing etc.]
  6. All models marked “Coming Soon” are in queue to go live with the next layer update. Note that they are not guaranteed to go live in the next layer update. There are a couple of things that can happen to kick the model out of the queue.
    • Another model is uploaded which conflicts with your model, sending them both into the Duplicate Review Queue.
    • You edit your model and send it back through Review starting at Quality Review Level 1.
    • The process that prepares your model for the 3D Buildings layer rejects your model. However, this is pretty rare. We’re usually able to tell sooner in the pipeline that there is an issue with your model and will notify you with a rejection for Processing Failed.

And it’s just that simple.

Do you think we’ve made a mistake along the way? Please submit an appeal using the “Tell us why we’re wrong” link on the models detail page and provide information to support your appeal, like a photo or building website. We should respond within 48 hours [weekends exempt]. If we’re wrong, we’ll take your example and use it to improve ongoing training for the reviewers.

Howthepipelineworks.jpeg
This conversation is locked