Lament for Tan

Joseph Larson

Jun 6, 2013, 8:43:59 AM6/6/13
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
When I got it I wanted it for 1 job. I had no idea what I would use it for. So it became my throw-away roll, the one that I used for the jobs that I didn't want to keep around.

Then I discovered that it photographed very well. Not as boring as gray but clear on any background.

Then I discovered that for lithophanes it was unrivaled making a sepia-tone effect that makes flesh look real but also goes to almost white.

And now no one sells it any more. And my roll is almost empty.

TheMakerGuy

Jun 6, 2013, 12:29:19 PM6/6/13
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
I thought when I saw the subject that someone had died.

JohnD

Jun 6, 2013, 1:21:19 PM6/6/13
Try some of this Joe, it's not quite the same, but it's damn close.  I think it's a little bit more dense than the MBI Tan was, but it's really close.

http://trinitylabs.com/products/filament-pla-1-75mm-2lb-brass

mathisyourfriend

Jun 9, 2013, 9:41:45 PM6/9/13
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com

I thought it was a fake at first.  I've wanted to use Creator's "convert image to 3D" and that seems to be made for it.  Has anyone used the brass?

Joseph Larson

Jun 10, 2013, 10:51:25 AM6/10/13
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
It worked so well it looked faked.

I'll try out some of the brass when Joseph Chiu gets some purple in and just make a big order of both.

Kurt @ VR-FX

Jul 3, 2013, 10:48:13 AM7/3/13
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
Hey Joe,

I was intrigued by your process of turning a digital photo into an Engraving that can be 3D Printed. Is this a process you would be willing to share - or is it one you prefer to keep secret???

Thanks in Advance!
Kurt

JohnA.

Jul 3, 2013, 11:06:17 AM7/3/13
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
Tons of ways to do it on Thingiverse now:

http://www.thingiverse.com/search/basic?q=lithopane

Maker Bob Designs

Jul 4, 2013, 11:37:52 AM7/4/13
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
You are going to make Joe angry.  You won't like him when he's angry.  ;-)

More ways if you spell it the right way instead of continuing the MBI misspelling on their featured thing: http://www.thingiverse.com/search/basic?q=lithophane

Joseph Larson

Jul 4, 2013, 11:50:42 AM7/4/13
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
Won't make me angry. I share as a matter of course. Spelled the whole process out months ago:

I decided to use some gold filament that turned out more brown, but it lets some good light through, better than the white stuff I have now, so I may start using that when a customer requests something a bit sepia-tone.

Maker Bob Designs

Jul 4, 2013, 12:08:17 PM7/4/13
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
I just meant the misspelling part.  It makes me angry when Makerbot publishes a thing, and then features it with such an obvious error.  Now everyone who doesn't know the history of lithophanes and does a web search will think they originated with 3D printing.  If they meant to misspell it, they should have explained that they are Lithophane panes.  They do give a link to the origins Wiki page, so I guess I shouldn't be too hard on them.

Bob

Maker Bob Designs

Jul 4, 2013, 12:14:57 PM7/4/13
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
Joe,

Have you tried this thing yet?
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:35373
I haven't gotten around to it yet, but it seems like it may be easier than the way you describe in your blog.
I have been using my customizer Openscad script for multiple images:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:83812
Thingiverse has been acting very unreliable for the last week or so, so I was looking for a way to make the files without having to rely on them.

Bob

Joseph Larson

Jul 5, 2013, 10:45:10 AM7/5/13
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
Oh, the misspellings thing, yeah, I tried to fight against it at first but eventually just accepted it.

The problem with the openSCAD solutions is they're not as high resolution as what I work with. And I came up with my process before they were options.

I don't know, I got my solution and it works for me.