panoramic head question

bez

Jul 12, 2012, 11:40:11 AM7/12/12
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
hello all,

tomorrow I want to order my NN, I just have one last question before I do that.

Assuming I have a Nodal Ninja head, a D90 with a Nikkor 10.5mm fisheye lens, a tripod and PTgui,
and I always shoot the same way, let's say 10 vertical photos 60 degrees each nadir and zenith.
Can I punch exact numbers in PTgui to get a perfect 360 panorama every time instead of putting control points and than fixing and aligning and so on?

I hope I am clear with my question,
again, in short, I want to take my photos, put them in PTgui or some other software that can do this,
punch in some numbers to each photo and get my 360 panorama perfect from errors, with out the hassle of fixing errors and so on
Is that possible? sound to me like it should be.

Also that way I can get perfect panoramas even if I have clear sky with out any control points matching and so on...

thanks in advance,
Assaf.

bez

Jul 12, 2012, 11:43:43 AM7/12/12
to 360c...@googlegroups.com

eric belin

Jul 12, 2012, 12:32:18 PM7/12/12
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
Hi ,
Be sure that , even with a properly adjusted head pano , sometimes there are errors and corrections that you'll need to  repair with image software ( aligning  , light ,  nadir ...)
friendly
Eric

Rob vangils

Jul 12, 2012, 6:21:26 PM7/12/12
to 360c...@googlegroups.com

Yes, this can be done using templates in PTGui. Take your pano and make the necessary adjustment to achieve the best possible stitch and save it as a template. You can then use the template to stitch your panos. Even when using a template there will be some times when you have to make some minor tweaks.

Jose Allan Maglasang

Jul 12, 2012, 7:19:35 PM7/12/12
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
I am using Nikon 10.5.  I take 12 portrait shots plus 2 nadir shots (fused into 1 shot to erase the tripod): 6 shots straight on at 90deg (0deg at nadir), and another 6 shots at 135deg which encompass the zenith.  There will be a large overlap between the 2 rows of shots in the horizon and foreground where you can get control points even if the sky is totally featureless.

Regarding the "no-adjustment" project, I think that is next to impossible in my experience.  I am using PTGUI which is very good at matching control points; but I still find myself, half of the time, erasing all control points set by PTGUI and setting my own control points especially with panos with lots of foliage or sky and moving objects.  Templates are useful only when you take several panos of the same scene using the "Replace Image" function in PTGUI.  Even then you I still have to make adjustments in the first pano used as a template.

Roberto Ruiz

Jul 13, 2012, 11:03:33 AM7/13/12
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
Yes
Always we need to do some work, but you are in the correct way with the correct equipment and software !!

bez

Jul 19, 2012, 2:56:00 PM7/19/12
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
Thank you every one for your help.

I am not afraid of working and I know that always there will be something to fix,
but just wanted to know if it's possible, thanks again.

Cheers :)