FOV when first viewing

Nick Spiker

Aug 2, 2012, 2:51:18 AM8/2/12
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
I'm having trouble setting the correct FOV for when the pano opens. It always defaults to the widest possible view. I have tried to change it in EDITING (http://www.360cities.net/account/edit/image/waterfall-gully-bridge) but when I view it, it always goes back to the wide view. The preview looks correct though. Ideas? Thanks

Mohammad Reza Domiri Ganji

Aug 2, 2012, 5:27:55 PM8/2/12
to 360Cities Community
hi , try different browser , maybe its because the old Data exist in
your Internet browser Catch .

I can see your pano http://www.360cities.net/image/waterfall-gully-bridge
in zoom level of 59.3 and its not opened in widest view for me .

Regards , Mohammad Reza

Calvin McDonald

Aug 2, 2012, 6:50:20 PM8/2/12
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nick.

If I understand you correctly - I believe I had the same problem.  I was posting a new pano and while setting the initial view I picked one I liked but after I published and viewed it, it defaulted to the widest possible view (120 degrees).  I Unpublished and set it again, thinking I did something wrong.  That didn't help.  It showed it was setting it to 40 degrees but published at 120 degrees.  I finally gave up and left it at 120 degrees.  That was several hours ago.  If I go look at the image now - it's correct, the initial view is 40 degrees - as I wished.

Not sure what fixed it.  Might be a caching issue - don't know.
This has never happened to me before.

Calvin

elena.martinez

Aug 3, 2012, 9:04:06 AM8/3/12
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
Hello Nick,

Have you tried to change the vFOV (at the displayed View box) by changing the numbers in the box instead to change the FOV with the mouse?

Regards,

Elena

Mohammad Reza Domiri Ganji

Aug 3, 2012, 3:06:26 PM8/3/12
to 360Cities Community
same problem with me now !!!
check out this pano : http://www.360cities.net/image/dolat-abad-garden-badgir-night-yazd

it automatically changed to FOV "110" ! ( it was 80 before ) .

(it was http://www.360cities.net/image/dolat-abad-garden-badgir-night-yazd#122.20,-20.90,80.0
but suddenly today I noticed its
http://www.360cities.net/image/dolat-abad-garden-badgir-night-yazd#122.20,-20.90,110.0
)

On Aug 3, 5:04 pm, "elena.martinez" <elena.marti...@360cities.net>

Calvin McDonald

Aug 3, 2012, 10:32:05 PM8/3/12
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
Playing around I'm seeing that my browser is changing the FOV - it's not a 360cities problem I don't think.

Example:
This pano has a default FOV of 50 degrees:
http://www.360cities.net/image/poppy-house-lambert-park-alpine-utah-usa

However, if I load this image with FF I get this URL:
http://www.360cities.net/image/poppy-house-lambert-park-alpine-utah-usa#70.00,0.00,110.0

If I manually change the FOV from 110.0 to anything else FF reverts it back to 110.0 as soon as I hit <ENTER>.
Even if I leave FF and restart it and load the image by clicking on it on the 360cities site, it reverts back to an FOV of 110.0.

If I enter "http://www.360cities.net/image/poppy-house-lambert-park-alpine-utah-usa" in IE I get the correct (50) FOV.

Can someone who understands FF tell me what it's doing when it insists that any URL beginning with:
"http://www.360cities.net/image/poppy-house-lambert-park-alpine-utah-usa"
resolves to:
"http://www.360cities.net/image/poppy-house-lambert-park-alpine-utah-usa#70.00,0.00,110.0"
??

Calvin

elena.martinez

Aug 6, 2012, 4:52:17 AM8/6/12
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Please, could you tell me which browser are you using?

Thanks,

Elena

Calvin McDonald

Aug 6, 2012, 10:24:45 AM8/6/12
to 360c...@googlegroups.com

Please, could you tell me which browser are you using?

Hi Elena:

I'm experiencing the anomaly using Firefox 14.0.1  (FF).

I'm still not certain that Nick, Mohammad Reza and I are experiencing the same problem.  If not, I apologize to Nick for highjacking his thread.

Experimenting further with FF it appears that when it's caching 360cities URLs that it ignores parameters after the "#" character.  Once it registers a URL with some ending, like #70.00,0.00,110.0 (for example) it uses this URL whenever any viewing parameters different than that are entered - including default ones coming from 360cities.

That's my face-value observation... what's really going on I'm not sure.  Whatever is going on is something new I believe because I've never seen this behavior before.  Don't know if it's due to a recent change in FF or 360cities.

I think what is happening is that while setting the initial view of a new pano that FF is caching a FOV other than the default.  Then when the user views the newly published pano the first time they get a FOV different than the set default, because an alternate FOV URL was cached earlier.  This makes it look like 360cities isn't capturing the desired FOV correctly.

I did find that clearing the FF cache clears up the problem.

What I was unable to determine (so far) is how FF decides which URL it will cache.  I'm guessing this might have something to do with why this is showing up as an anomaly now.

I played around with Internet Explorer (9.0.7) a little and it doesn't appear to act the same as FF in this regard.

Calvin

elena.martinez

Aug 7, 2012, 1:11:12 PM8/7/12
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I've checked your panoramas and open in the right FOV (the one you've chosen).
I've opened them with Safari and with Google Chrome.

Please, check this issue and let me know if you can open your panoramas at the right FOV.

Regards,

Elena

Nick Spiker

Aug 9, 2012, 12:02:45 AM8/9/12
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
I'm using Chrome, FF and Safari, all have the problem on and off. It makes no difference setting th FOV via text or using a mouse.

Mohammad Reza Domiri Ganji

Aug 9, 2012, 5:38:55 AM8/9/12
to 360Cities Community
Hello ,
my Panos Changed to normal FOV and the problem fixed .
Regards , Mohammad Reza

On Aug 7, 9:11 pm, "elena.martinez" <elena.marti...@360cities.net>
wrote:
> > <http://www.360cities.net/image/poppy-house-lambert-park-alpine-utah-u...>

elena.martinez

Aug 9, 2012, 6:35:38 AM8/9/12
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
Great¡¡¡

Calvin McDonald

Aug 11, 2012, 5:58:52 PM8/11/12
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
Nick - does the problem go away if you flush your browser cache?

It appears from my point of view that either Firefox or 360cities recently change something slightly that causes the browser to cache a view of a pano that has a different FOV than the default that was set when the image was published.  This causes the wrong FOV to be loaded for following viewings of the image - at least until the cache is flushed or expires.

Calvin