Android and 360Cities?

Richard Chesher

Oct 4, 2011, 5:02:58 PM10/4/11
to 360Cities Community
A friend showed me one of my panos on her iPad and I was blown away by
the cool way it pans the image as you physically turn the ipad around,
up and down. Brilliant effect.
I got an Android Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet and immediately went to
360Cities.net - but although the Samsung Galaxy has a sensor to detect
movement the panos don't pan like they do on the Ipad. ??? Do anyone
know why not (no snide comments about Apple superiority please)? Is
there an app I need to download for the Android tablet? Or maybe a
different browser than the default Google one?

Jan Vrsinsky | 360cities.net

Oct 5, 2011, 9:26:56 AM10/5/11
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard

We are using a custom-made krpano viewer for the iPad with a lower resolution that matches the speed of the device. That's why it's so amazing and fast. For Android we are showing the full flash slow version.

I'm not personally aware of a good customized Android viewer but if there is any, please let me know so I can tell our developers to put it in the dev queue.

Jan

Richard Chesher

Oct 7, 2011, 11:23:55 PM10/7/11
to 360Cities Community
I've been looking but have not found a viewer that can take advantage
of the kinetic sensing of the tablet (to pan it correctly when you
turn the tablet). The ipad viewer must somehow link to a compass
because it also gets the compass direction right. Is krpano thinking
of doing a similar Android App?

On Oct 6, 12:26 am, "Jan Vrsinsky | 360cities.net" <jan.

Thomas Krüger

Oct 8, 2011, 2:51:25 AM10/8/11
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
Here is the first beta of a viewer under development: http://www.j-k-s.com/test/PanoView.apk
Check with the developer Joachim Koopmann jk at j-k-s.com

Obel

Oct 8, 2011, 4:45:39 AM10/8/11
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
The Galaxy Tab 10.1 can actually display the Ipad version of 360cities pretty well. Even the magnetic compass sensor is used.

Type "about:debug" as url and press enter.
Go to debug and then UAstring and select Ipad.

There are several problems with the Ipad version on the GT. The biggest is that the panorama is square and doesn't adapt to the display.

Now, I'm no internet technology expert but I think it should be possible for 360Cities to detect android/chrome combinations compatible with the JS viewer and serve a page that will give thesameexperience to android users.

Obel

Oct 8, 2011, 5:07:17 AM10/8/11
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
Also, the browser in android is also based on webKit, so its capabilities should be similar to those of Safari on Ipad.

My GT browsers user agent is " Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 3.1; en-gb; GT-P7500 Build/HMJ37) AppleWebKit/534.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/534.13 " when it uses its default UAstring.

Jan Vrsinsky | 360cities.net

Oct 11, 2011, 7:14:31 AM10/11/11
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
The problem with Android is that there is too many devices to support and we won't develop something in-house as we did initially for the iPhone (you can read more about it here in a blog post from 2009). Now we use krpano for iOS.

If anybody knows about a reliable Android viewer we can buy and implement, please let me know.

Greg Panayotou

Oct 11, 2011, 8:02:54 PM10/11/11
to 360Cities Community
I suppose you allready had a look @MarcoTrezzini Android/iphone/ipad
PLayer --> ArounderTouch ?

:p

Richard Chesher

Oct 12, 2011, 5:29:59 PM10/12/11
to 360Cities Community
What about the krpano http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=188F7C4NBXU
android sensors move panoramic 360 image?

On Oct 11, 10:14 pm, "Jan Vrsinsky | 360cities.net" <jan.
360cit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem with Android is that there is too many devices to support and we
> won't develop something in-house as we did initially for the iPhone (you can
> read more about it here<http://janvrsinsky.com/spherical-panorama-virtual-tour-viewer-for-iph...>in a blog post from 2009). Now we use krpano for iOS.

Jan Vrsinsky | 360cities.net

Oct 14, 2011, 5:08:19 AM10/14/11
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
That's an app, Greg. I want a web-based viewer.

Jan Vrsinsky | 360cities.net

Oct 14, 2011, 5:09:34 AM10/14/11
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
In another words, we need to have a web based viewer to make all the links on social media viewed on iPhones, iPads and Androids working. Also links on blogs, etc.

Sure, an app is a nice thing to have, but it won't help in this situation.

Jan Vrsinsky | 360cities.net

Oct 14, 2011, 5:11:15 AM10/14/11
to 360c...@googlegroups.com
Richard, that seems to be an application. We need a web based solution for now...