zfs does not compile with just released linux-3.5

Showing 1-8 of 8 messages
zfs does not compile with just released linux-3.5 Fabio Comolli 7/23/12 3:19 AM
It seems that truncate_range has gone, so zpl_inode.c does not compile anymore.

Build errors:

fs/zfs/zfs/zpl_inode.c:383:2:error: unknown field 'truncate_range' specified in initializer
fs/zfs/zfs/zpl_inode.c:383:2:warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
fs/zfs/zfs/zpl_inode.c:383:2:warning: (near initialization for 'zpl_inide_operations.removexattr') [enabled by default]
make[3]: *** [fs/zfs/zfs/zpl_inode.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [fs/zfs/zfs] Error 2
make[1]: *** [fs/zfs] Error 3
Re: [zfs-discuss] zfs does not compile with just released linux-3.5 Fabio Comolli 7/23/12 3:31 AM
OK, just after posting this thread I found that the solution was
already available here:

http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/sys-fs/zfs/files/zfs-0.6.0_rc9-linux-3.5-support.patch

Sorry for the noise.
Re: [zfs-discuss] zfs does not compile with just released linux-3.5 Etienne Dechamps 7/23/12 3:50 AM
On 07/23/2012 12:31 PM, Fabio Comolli wrote:
> OK, just after posting this thread I found that the solution was
> already available here:
>
> http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/sys-fs/zfs/files/zfs-0.6.0_rc9-linux-3.5-support.patch

More specifically: https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/pull/817

> Sorry for the noise.
>
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Fabio Comolli<fabio....@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> It seems that truncate_range has gone, so zpl_inode.c does not compile
>> anymore.
>>
>> Build errors:
>>
>> fs/zfs/zfs/zpl_inode.c:383:2:error: unknown field 'truncate_range' specified
>> in initializer
>> fs/zfs/zfs/zpl_inode.c:383:2:warning: initialization from incompatible
>> pointer type [enabled by default]
>> fs/zfs/zfs/zpl_inode.c:383:2:warning: (near initialization for
>> 'zpl_inide_operations.removexattr') [enabled by default]
>> make[3]: *** [fs/zfs/zfs/zpl_inode.o] Error 1
>> make[2]: *** [fs/zfs/zfs] Error 2
>> make[1]: *** [fs/zfs] Error 3


--
Etienne Dechamps / e-t172 - AKE Group
Phone: +33 6 23 42 24 82
Re: [zfs-discuss] zfs does not compile with just released linux-3.5 Fabio Comolli 7/23/12 3:59 AM
Thanks but still does not compile with the zfs-in-kernel branch from
the user dechamp, so I had to manually patch the kernel anyway.



On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 12:50 PM, e-t172 <e-t...@akegroup.org> wrote:
> On 07/23/2012 12:31 PM, Fabio Comolli wrote:
>>
>> OK, just after posting this thread I found that the solution was
>> already available here:
>>
>>
>> http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/sys-fs/zfs/files/zfs-0.6.0_rc9-linux-3.5-support.patch
>
>
> More specifically: https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/pull/817
>
>> Sorry for the noise.
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Fabio Comolli
Re: [zfs-discuss] zfs does not compile with just released linux-3.5 Fabio Comolli 7/23/12 4:07 AM
Oh, sorry, did not notice that it was you answering me, damn gmail that hides the last lines of the mails.
So, building the kernel with the patch still gives errors here:

+#ifdef HAVE_CLEAR_INODE
+	clear_inode(ip);
+#else
 	end_writeback(ip);
+

as if HAVE_CLEAR_INODE were not set. Of course I re-run configure and copy_builtin after applying the patch (which, by the way, applied cleanly).


On Monday, July 23, 2012 12:59:32 PM UTC+2, Fabio Comolli wrote:
Thanks but still does not compile with the zfs-in-kernel branch from
the user dechamp, so I had to manually patch the kernel anyway.



Re: [zfs-discuss] zfs does not compile with just released linux-3.5 Etienne Dechamps 7/23/12 4:12 AM
On 07/23/2012 01:07 PM, Fabio Comolli wrote:
> Oh, sorry, did not notice that it was you answering me, damn gmail that
> hides the last lines of the mails.
> So, building the kernel with the patch still gives errors here:
>
> +#ifdef HAVE_CLEAR_INODE
> +        clear_inode(ip);
> +#else
>           end_writeback(ip);
> +
>
> as if HAVE_CLEAR_INODE were not set. Of course I re-run configure and copy_builtin after applying the patch (which, by the way, applied cleanly).

That's not surprising, because my patch is based upon the current master
branch, not ryao's linux-3.5 branch. Richard added new checks to the
configure script; these new checks need to be modified in order to work
with built-in compilation.

In other words, there are conflicts between the two branches, so you
can't just merge the two, even if git seems happy.
Re: [zfs-discuss] zfs does not compile with just released linux-3.5 Fabio Comolli 7/23/12 4:40 AM

Thanks for clarifying this. I guess that now that 3.5 is out all those things will get importance and this issue will be sorted out.
Re: [zfs-discuss] zfs does not compile with just released linux-3.5 Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) 7/24/12 11:08 AM
Having the configure and makefile.in files in the repo is beginning to get problematic.
--
Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.