Fwd: [LongIslandCWClub] Field Day & proposed CW Changes

Chris Smart

Mar 3, 2023, 9:18:32 AM3/3/23
to yrarc...@yrarc.org

Sent from Chris's iPhone.

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob K4RLC via groups.io" <bconder=yaho...@groups.io>
Date: March 3, 2023 at 09:29:30 AST
To: LongIsla...@groups.io
Subject: [LongIslandCWClub] Field Day & proposed CW Changes

GM,
 Some of you may know that ARRL is proposing to change the point value system of scoring for this year's Field Day.
According to Mike Ritz, W7VO, Chair of the Programs and Services Committee for ARRL, this is because FT8 is "taking over Field Day" and has become a "disruptive force" to Field Day. Consequently, Mike and his group are proposing to make the point value of all transmission modes equivalent at 2 points.
-I have attached a letter I drafted to him. It basically states I share his concern for the negative effect of FT8 on amateur radio. However, from a neuroscience perspective, rather than continuing to reward FT8 with a higher point value, FT8 points should be reduced to 1 point, while CW remains at 2 points.
-In medicine and healthcare, we are reimbursed at higher rates for procedures that require effort and skill (technically known as “…physician work effort..”). Morse Code “CW” requires such effort and skill, and should be “rewarded” at a higher point value than modes such as FT8 which are essentially computer-to-computer modes that do not require the operator’s skill and effort.  The letter is more elaborate.
-If you are so inclined, feel free to edit the letter I have drafted, or do your own letter, and send to the powers that be. Mike said they were open for feedback, especially from CW Ops, as the changes are not finalized, but could be any day.
First would be Mike Ritz W7VO at w7...@arrl.org
Second would be your Division Director, as they are on the Executive Committee
Next, Rick Frederick K5UR, President of ARRL at K5...@arrl.org
And CEO David Minster NA2AA  at na...@arrl.org
-Please see letter below..I edited it fast this am and hope I caught all the typos.
73 de K4RLC Bob

Dear ARRL,
As a long time ARRL member and financial contributor, I am writing to express my extreme displeasure and disagreement with a proposal to change the point value system for Field Day, essentially equating CW (Morse code) during Field Day with all other modes of transmission. I write this as a firm supporter of amateur radio, Morse Code and ARRL, as well as someone who has donated to various activities of ARRL, such as the Youth and Science programs.
I understand from your presentation on Field Day the concern is that FT8 “is taking over Field Day” and is a “disruptive force” to Field Day. I totally share your concerns about the negative effect of  FT8 not only during FD, but also taking over the CW frequency allocations.
While your logic is to equate the point value of all modes as a way of diminishing the disruption of FT8 to amateur radio, I do not think it will work at all. As an applied neuroscientist and neuropsychologist, I can tell you that  human learning theory states that you do not want to reinforce “bad behavior,” but to diminish the reinforcement value of bad behavior. Simply, reduce the point value for FT8. Only by reducing the reward contingencies of bad behavior, does the “frequency” (number)  of such behavior reduce, much as a parent not reinforcing a child for bad behavior.
Additionally, in medicine and healthcare, we are reimbursed at higher rates for procedures that require effort and skill (technically known as “…physician work effort..”). Morse Code “CW” requires such effort and skill, and should be “rewarded” at a higher point value than modes such as FT8 which are essentially computer-to-computer modes that do not require the operator’s skill and effort.
Morse Code heralds back to the origins of wireless communication with Marconi and his telegraphy. It takes skill and effort by the Morse operator; for some of us, it is a lifelong journey of personal practice and commitment in a pleasant process to acquire and hopefully master a unique skill and means of communications. On the contrary, as human beings we are hardwired in the brain  for language and this naturally develops in the human species. Therefore, voice communications, while necessary for the development of civilization,  naturally requires less skill and effort than CW communications. Another reason to have a higher point value for CW.
ARRL encouraged dropping CW for licensure requirements and is seen as not supportive for Morse Code by many of us. However, since the license requirement has been dropped, there has been an emergence and resurgence of Morse Code across many venues. One is the remarkable success of the Long Island CW Club, which was formed right before the Pandemic and now has almost 4000 PAID members from all states and 50 countries. LICW teaches 95 Morse Code classes a week both in the US and internationally. Additionally, CW Ops has several thousand PAID members, as well as a waiting list for students to attend their CW training classes. Both of these groups are a testimony to the great and growing interest in Morse Code as a major operating mode, with a solid present base and a growing future. Historically, Field Day has been a time to both introduce new hams to CW, and for us to practice our CW art and skill in a simulated disaster scenario. Additionally, CW is recognized as a universal language.
I sincerely hope you will reconsider this a well-meaning but flawed proposal and retain the higher Field Day point value for CW communications, while dropping the point value for modes such as FT8. Doing so would be an appropriate acknowledgement of the historical basis of wireless CW telegraphy in amateur radio, and incentive for CW operators to continue honing this skill.
Thank you very much for your consideration. Please let me know if I can provide additional information for your decision making.
Yours truly,
Dr. Bob Conder K4RLC

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#30035) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [ve3...@winsystem.org]

_._,_._,_