Hi

shravangk

Jan 14, 2021, 4:25:02 PMJan 14
to York Region Amateur Radio Club
Hi All,

I attended the last (5th Jan) YRARC monthly online meeting on Introduction to APRS Packet Radio. To begin with, I would like to try and build a system that was given as an example in the meeting (USB radio receiver attached to a Raspberry-Pi and display the messages received).

Questions:
1) What was the USB receiver module name and model number that was shown in the meeting?
2) What version and distribution of Linux I need to flash on my Raspberry Pi?
3) Is there any reference link for beginners to get started and integrating the USB-Radio receiver module?

Appreciate your inputs.

Thanks,
Shravan

Pablo Sabbag

Jan 14, 2021, 9:20:24 PMJan 14
to York Region Amateur Radio Club, shravangk
Hi Shravan,

Nice to hear back from you.

Could you please tell us what type of build are you attempting?
Are you buying the components and connecting them together?
Are you building the components by yourself?

This is what I did after Eric's presentation:
- Got and old RPi with Raspbian Jesse (old version, not the latest)
- Ordered an USB Audio adapter (CAD$ 10 in Amazon)
- Build a simple interface using 2 isolation transformers, the USB Audio adapter, a couple transistors and an optoisolator for PTT.
- Connected everything together with a Baofeng UV-5R that was sitting on the bench doing nothing for few months now
- Installed Direwolf on the the RPi and configured with one beacon in RF and Igate
- Connected a Windows client called UISS via AGW to use the RPi like a TNC
- Checked my presence in aprs.fi to ensure everything working fine

Is this more or less what you would like to do? Do you have something different in mind?

Let us know.

73,
Pablo, VA3HDL

Shravan Kumar

Jan 14, 2021, 9:35:51 PMJan 14
to Pablo Sabbag, York Region Amateur Radio Club
Hello Pablo,

Thanks a lot for your response.

I just procured a RaspberryPi and I am thinking of buying the components, connect them together, and build a simple application that should display all the messages received.

In the last meeting, the organizer showed everyone a USB radio receiver dongle, that can be hooked to RPi. I missed making a note of the vendor of the device and model number details.

Thank you,
Shravan

Eric Brown

Jan 14, 2021, 9:45:52 PMJan 14
to YRARC Google GROUP
The equipment is use and showed at the demo is as follows.

Raspberry pi. Running "APRX" software.  A command line Linux based program.

The radio I use is an old Motorola Radius  2m rig. The advantage of this rig is it has an Auxilary connector at the back that brings out DC, RX and TX AUDIO.

The interface unit is an Argent Data Open Tracker 2.  This interconnects  the radio, an optional GPS and the pi via serial port slash serial to USB Adapter to the pi.

Eric Brown
VE3EB/VE3OIC/VA3OIC

20190921_114929.jpg

Pablo Sabbag

Jan 14, 2021, 9:51:12 PMJan 14
to York Region Amateur Radio Club, shravangk, York Region Amateur Radio Club, Pablo Sabbag