Re: Fusion Repeaters

Rob Barnett

Jul 31, 2021, 3:13:09 PM7/31/21
to YRARC EMAIL GROUP YRARC EMAIL GROUP
Hey Chris I know from the club nightly nets there are a lot of members that have fusion radios, my ftm 300 has recording capabilities, I can sent it to record continuously. I never here any members with fusion radios  on our local fusion repeater. You can join many repeaters together but if our members are not going to use them there is no benefit, even being linked to Cross Canada the is very little use, there is more to ham radio then just noisy fm RQB

Sent Using Moto G Fast Please Update To My New Email Address ........... robbarn...@gmail.com

On Sat, Jul 31, 2021, 10:14 Chris Sullivan <ch...@ve3nrt.net> wrote:

Hi Steve – thanks, yes, I get it.

And now we have no expanded York Region coverage and have abandoned the idea of increased coverage on the Canada room. Is that what we want or is there something else we’re trying to do? I have no opinion on the matter except that York Region coverage is generally a good thing for the club.

After 15 emails on the subject, I haven’t seen anyone propose any course of action. Does that mean everything is fine the way it is currently? If that’s the case then we can stop this, otherwise please someone state what they think needs to be done and we can try to reach a consensus.

If this were a board meeting, I’d be asking for a motion right now.

73

Chris

From: Chris Sullivan <ch...@ve3nrt.net>

Date: 2021-07-31 9:38 a.m. (GMT-05:00)

To: 'Mike VA3MCT' <va3...@gmail.com>

Cc: 'Steve Holland' <ve...@hotmail.ca>, 'Rob Barnett' <robbarn...@gmail.com>, 'Rick Armitage' <ve3...@sympatico.ca>, 'Mike Veit' <mik...@veit.ca>

OK. So going back to Steve’s earlier comment “Originally, the intentions were to have YRC, PIC and another Fusion machine at Egypt with all  three repeaters linked full time via York Region Room to give us wide coverage of York Region and beyond. It can still work even without Egypt (but not quite as good). Chris VE3BNI would need to be on board to put PIC back on York Region Room. Otherwise, we abandon the whole plan and go back to YRC being "stand alone".”

I am still unclear on:

  • Whose intentions were to have YRC, PIC and YRK Egypt Fusion be linked full time on a York Region Room?
  • Is that still the intention (sans Egypt, which doesn’t appear to be feasible) of those people?
  • Is that something that the club’s Fusion users feel is desirable?

I don’t see any point in negotiating with Chris unless we have a position on the desired outcome(s).

73,

Chris

From: Chris Sullivan <ch...@ve3nrt.net>

Date: 2021-07-24 9:11 a.m. (GMT-05:00)

To: 'Steve Holland' <VE...@hotmail.ca>, 'Mike VA3MCT' <va3...@gmail.com>, 'Rob Barnett' <robbarn...@gmail.com>, 'Rick Armitage' <ve3...@sympatico.ca>

Cc: 'Rick Armitage' <ve3...@sympatico.ca>, mik...@veit.ca

Thanks Steve,

I don’t know Chris VE3BNI. Is there someone who does, or do we try to influence him through Steve VE1OR?

73,

Chris

Revised summary:

·         VE3PIC, a Fusion repeater on 146.67, is probably located in Uxbridge, but might be in Egypt. We can check with VE1OR about that.

·         VE3PIC is registered with ISED as a club repeater and the licencee is Rick Smiles. He is listed as residing in Pickering, and also holds VE3IU and VE3IHT. To the best of our knowledge, we would go through VE3BNI (Chris Gayle, Mt. Albert) to have changes made to the configuration of that repeater.

·         VE3YRK is currently on the air at McKenzie health on 147.180 although coverage is limited, and it rarely used as it has no internet access. The pair was used temporarily for a Fusion repeater in Egypt, but the initiative was abandoned due to interference with commercial users at the site. Permission to use the pair was never formally revoked, but that has not been the cause of any issues.

·         The default room for VE3YRC/V is currently some wide area room, and we would propose that VE3PIC and VE3YRC/V instead share a common “York Region Room” to achieve good coverage across the region, even though we don’t have a repeater at Egypt.

Open questions

  • Do we think there is a repeater system available to us for Fusion, that could be set up on 147.18 if we had a suitable site (or could solve the Egypt RFI problem)?
  • Is our small footprint VE3YRK/D-STAR sufficient to hold the pair or are we worried about encroachment? While I recall discussions about holding the 147.180 pair the main reason we put the Fusion repeater in Egypt was to get Fusion coverage in the north end of the Region