CQ WW Contest - DX Cluster Available

Ron Gibson

Oct 29, 2021, 3:19:55 PM10/29/21
to YRARC Google GROUP
Hi Folks,

With this weekends CQ WW Contest, this is a good time to remind members that I host a DX Cluster right here in York Region.

telnet: ve3cgr.dyndns.org:7300

web: http://ve3cgr.dyndns.org/cgi-bin/spider.cgi

amprnet: linux.ve3cgr.ampr.org:7300

73 de Ron, VE3CGR

Fernando Gil

Oct 29, 2021, 3:52:07 PM10/29/21
to yrarc...@yrarc.org
Hi Ron,

Sorry to ask that, but as a new Ham, could you tell me what a DX Cluster is? What is it used for during DX contests?

Thanks
--
Fernando
VA3FGL

John Leonardelli

Oct 29, 2021, 3:54:40 PM10/29/21
to yrarc.group
Good stuff Ron but I hired 2 spotters to assist in multipliers

I could have saved some ,$$$

Ron Gibson

Oct 29, 2021, 3:55:22 PM10/29/21
to yrarc...@yrarc.org
Hi Fernando,

A DX Cluster is used to "spot" other stations. This allows you to see which stations are being heard and spotted by other stations. The advantage is that you can get an idea of how propagation conditions are and who is hearing who.

Many of the popular logging programs have the ability to connect into a cluster.

Ron
VE3CGR

Ron Gibson

Oct 29, 2021, 3:56:11 PM10/29/21
to yrarc...@yrarc.org
Just because you don't like clusters is no reason to discourage others who do.

SteveO

Oct 29, 2021, 4:17:45 PM10/29/21
to yrarc...@yrarc.org, Ron Gibson

Hi Ron

Thanx ... Always appreciate the reminder... !!

73 de Ron, VE3CGR --

Ron Gibson

Oct 29, 2021, 4:26:30 PM10/29/21
to YRARC Google GROUP
Just a reminder, due to abuse to the cluster network, registration is required in order to spot. It's easy, just send me an email with the call you're using and I will set it as registered. For those who are already registered no action is required.

Eric Brown

Oct 29, 2021, 4:27:56 PM10/29/21
to YRARC Google GROUP
Ron

Thank you for your ongoing cluster support.

Eric Brown
VE3EB/VE3OIC/VA3OIC

.__!______!___
//___||__\\___\\_____
|_/ \ |___|/ \_(O||||||O)
_( )_)=o=( )_)=o=( )_)

Fernando Gil

Oct 29, 2021, 4:42:32 PM10/29/21
to yrarc...@yrarc.org
Ron,

Thanks for the info!

--
Fernando
VA3FGL

Ron Gibson

Oct 29, 2021, 4:52:09 PM10/29/21
to yrarc...@yrarc.org
Fernando,

To see the cluster I suggest you use PuTTY as a telnet client until you choose otherwise:

https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

Just use ve3cgr.dyndns.org  with port 7300

For convenience I have registered your call.

Ron
VE3CGR

https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

John Chin

Oct 29, 2021, 6:05:35 PM10/29/21
to York Region Amateur Radio Club
Thank you for the DX cluster information.

I have to work this weekend so I cannot participate.  Everyone enjoy this weekend's events.

73,
John VA3BOF, VE3JCC

Fernando Gil

Oct 29, 2021, 6:29:56 PM10/29/21
to yrarc...@yrarc.org
Thanks Ron,
I'll check it out!

73

Steve Alan

Oct 31, 2021, 7:05:05 PM10/31/21
to York Region Amateur Radio Club, ve3...@gmail.com
I go on for the contest for a little bit .... This one was fun and he got a kick out of the contact ...
20000101_082445.wav