Dayton/Xenia Hotel

John Leonardelli

Sep 16, 2021, 2:21:02 PM9/16/21
to yrarc.group
Clean and free muffins

I am booked from thursday to sunday

I have room for one more as i have 2 queen beds

HBO
Hairdryer
wiFi
Adult Superstore and Truck stop 100 yards away so you know it will be an interesting stay according to Bill

John VE3IPS

Ham Radio is a life$$$tyle not a Hobby!
Take the radio outside and operate from the Field
Throw a wire in a tree and make a QSO

Steve Alan

Sep 16, 2021, 7:51:56 PM9/16/21
to yrarc...@yrarc.org
I'm taking the Kovid Kamper and either staying on site or at the nearby KOA...

John Leonardelli

Sep 16, 2021, 8:06:58 PM9/16/21
to yrarc.group
Hot showers and HBO on a 32inch plasma?

John Chin

Nov 17, 2021, 5:03:23 PM11/17/21
to York Region Amateur Radio Club
Hmmmmm... No cancellations.

So is everyone booking to be there on Thursday May 19, 2022 and leaving Sunday May 22, 2022.

Regards,
John

Steve VE1OR

Nov 17, 2021, 6:44:28 PM11/17/21
to York Region Amateur Radio Club
IF I go this coming year it will be the RV Option for me... Le Chateau Mobile...

John Leonardelli

Nov 17, 2021, 6:52:27 PM11/17/21
to yrarc...@yrarc.org
Steve, can i just use a pup tent at the rv park?

--
Sent with a Palm Pilot. Ve3ips.wordpress.com
Radio: it's not just a hobby, it's a way of life

John Chin

Nov 20, 2021, 9:22:30 PM11/20/21
to York Region Amateur Radio Club
Hi

I made a mistake.  There is a free cancellation package that allows cancellation up until May 19, 2021.

The rate for CAA/AAA and Senior/AARP (Over 60) are both $71 USD.  Regular rate is $72 USD.  There is really no savings with the special rates.

image.png

Does this seem correct that the "No Smoking" room does not have the same amenities as the "Smoking" room?

I booked the non-smoking room to hold it for now.  I cannot stand staying in a room where people have smoked.

73,
John VA3BOF

John Leonardelli

Nov 20, 2021, 9:40:43 PM11/20/21
to yrarc...@yrarc.org
Yes no smoking.    Its fucking complicated to be honest

I have had to can el rooms all the time to to missed or cancelled flights

I drove 3 hours in heavy traffic to boston stressed to miss flight.  Check bag and 10 mins before take off.  Flight cancelled

So then i gotta hustle a hotel room last minute and rebook flight next day

Nightmare.   But i miss it

Patrick

Nov 20, 2021, 9:51:22 PM11/20/21
to yrarc...@yrarc.org

Ohio population: 11.75 million
COVID cases today (7 day avg): 6429 (5330)

Canada population: 38.25 million
COVID cases today (7 day avg): 2681 (2478)

Although Montgomery county where Dayton is is only their 4th hottest, it is still sounding to me like it's not the right place to go vacation with a whole bunch of high risk people.

John Chin

Nov 20, 2021, 10:51:34 PM11/20/21
to York Region Amateur Radio Club
I have now booked a "No Smoking" room at the same place as John VE3IPS!!

I have never stayed at a Choice Hotels location.

Paul's timing on the question amount of sleep on tonight's Health Net must be the right timing.

Oh lordy lordy.  Please have mercy on me and give me patience and strength to....  I must be tired.  I must have missed something in the conversation.

Who at Choice hotels set up their website or IVR system.  Who does their QA?  Why would the "No Smoking" rooms have amenities then the "Smoking" rooms?

image.png

I decided to call Reservations for clarification.  They have a confusing IVR system.  Once I get through, the reservation person reads from her script.   Asks me if I would like to change a booking, cancel or book a room.  Their IVR system already asked me for the reason for calling.

She asks me for my membership number.  If I do not have it she can look me up by phone number.  Okay, sounds promising.  Looks me up and then says thank you for being a member, since November 20, 2021.  Uh oh, now it does not sound promising.

I asked about the different amenities on their website for the Jefferson location for the same rooms.  Do "Smoking" and "No-smoking" rooms have different amenities??? She read me the stuff off of their website.  Excuse me I can do that too.  She confirms to me that the No Smoking room at this hotel room does not come with a bathroom.  Huh??  Maybe I heard it wrong.  But I say the picture shows it comes with a bathtub in the room, but it is not on the listing.  I said that it makes no sense that these two rooms have different amenities.  Why would you have a room without a bathtub?  How about a shower?  After a few more questions by me, she says have I called the hotel yet?  She says I have to call the hotel to confirm.  She offered to connect me to the Front Desk in Jefferson for clarification.  Thinking I am getting somewhere.

My initial impression was not promising. I tried several times to get the person who answered to say his name again.

The front desk acknowledges that both the Smoking and the No Smoking room have the same amenities!  Only difference is you can only smoke in the Smoking room.  Now that sounds right.  Their website is wrong.

I am not sure the Front desk person clued in that they should update their website.  I am going to give this place the benefit of the doubt, the night crew is now there and not the regular hotel management staff.  Maybe he is a COVID-19 replacement.

This organization does not instill a lot of confidence in me.  John, if you had not booked this place before I would not pick this place.

73,
John VA3BOF

John Chin

Nov 20, 2021, 11:00:11 PM11/20/21
to York Region Amateur Radio Club
Patrick,

The COVID-19 situation in many places in the US  is a concern.   They really do not have COVID-19 under control.

I am making sure that everything that I book has a good cancellation policy.  Who knows what will be happening in the USA in May 2022.  We just have to be flexible.

I am sure I can resell the Hamvention ticket.  Anyway, $26 USD is not a big loss.

73,
John VA3BOF

On Sat, Nov 20, 2021 at 9:51 PM Patrick <win...@winston1.net> wrote:

Ohio population: 11.75 million
COVID cases today (7 day avg): 6429 (5330)

Canada population: 38.25 million
COVID cases today (7 day avg): 2681 (2478)

Although Montgomery county where Dayton is is only their 4th hottest, it is still sounding to me like it's not the right place to go vacation with a whole bunch of high risk people.

<--snip-->

SOrr

Nov 20, 2021, 11:09:10 PM11/20/21
to yrarc...@yrarc.org, Patrick

This is the site that I like the most ....

The 7 Day average by Province...  I had to pass through a couple of scary ones (provinces) today to to get here in NS for the week....

Canada.jpg

John Leonardelli

Nov 21, 2021, 10:59:02 AM11/21/21
to yrarc...@yrarc.org, Patrick
We can buy tickets at the entrance gate

We can camp in our car at the salvation army church in Xenia

We can go all nighters and never sleep and run a night owl net in the hamvention field

We can smoke cannabus in smoking rooms as its not a tobacco product or as  Bart said “ edibles are smoke free”

We can bug out behind the racetrack.  sE corner in bivy bags and pup tents

We can stay home and read about in QST and RAC magazine

John IPS

Free tests by Xenia Commerce Department beside the Collins Truck in emcomm area......no line ups

Linda Lynott

Nov 22, 2021, 12:17:32 PM11/22/21
to yrarc...@yrarc.org

We just booked at Econ lodge, 9060 West Lancaster Road Jeffersonville, OH, 43128, US

and we bought cancellation too. Now there are 3 rooms left, for that time slot; May 19- 22. The Hilton was way too much and this way we have more money to spend at Hamvention.

73,

Linda VA3LJL

John Leonardelli

lindalynott

Nov 22, 2021, 5:18:20 PM11/22/21
to yrarc...@yrarc.org
Yes that is what I am.

Linda

Sent from my Bell Samsung device over Canada's largest network.