Lessons Learned - SignalinkUSB needs high power USB

Mike VA3MCT

Mar 13, 2021, 8:34:22 AM3/13/21
to York Region Amateur Radio Club
We have been doing some testing of late using VARA HF P2P as part of the Winlink EmCOmm solution.

We had this working a couple of weekends ago, before the WInlink Wednesday test, but during the test some of us had some technical issues and were unable to pass messages.

Some more testing was completed yesterday evening and still no luck.

I did some further testing after that and found that while my signalinkUSB appeared to be  powered up (it had the green light on the front) it would never trigger the PTT (red LED) on the front of the signalinkUSB and yet my radio PTT was working but no signal going out.

The signalinkUSB requires enough power through the USB to make it work correctly and I was using a non-powered hub.

Further testing by Roger VE3ROG at his end found similar inconsistencies, but also tried a powered hub with the same result.

Lesson Learned - SignalinkUSB likes to be directly connected to the PC and not use hubs.

See the info from the manual

  · If the SignaLink is plugged into a USB hub, docking station or USB extension cable, then remove it and plug it directly into the computer until the problem is resolved. If using a desktop computer, then the SignaLink should be plugged into a rear panel USB port. Note that both unpowered hubs and powered hubs that are not specifically designed for “high power” USB devices, cannot supply enough power for the SignaLink to operate properly. Receive will usually work, but Transmit will not. The same issue can occur with docking stations, USB extension cables, and front panel USB ports on desktop computers only

I hope this "lessons learned" helps others!

--
73,
Mike Crabtree - VA3MCT - Emergency Coordinator York Region ARES