Simplex Saturday Net

Chris Sullivan

Feb 11, 2023, 8:31:09 AM2/11/23
to York Region Amateur Radio Club
As I mentioned in last weekend's net, I am taking a break due to family commitments. The net will resume on March 18th

Thanks to all who have participated so far. I will be spending some of the time during the break to research and think up some new exercises.

73,
Chris

Ryan Collins

Feb 11, 2023, 1:26:52 PM2/11/23
to yrarc...@yrarc.org
Perfect I’m in Florida for two more weeks anyway

Thanks,
Ryan Collins
VA3RYC 🇨🇦 KO4YVB 🇺🇸

On Feb 11, 2023, at 08:31, Chris Sullivan <goo...@ve3nrt.net> wrote:

As I mentioned in last weekend's net, I am taking a break due to family commitments. The net will resume on March 18th

Thanks to all who have participated so far. I will be spending some of the time during the break to research and think up some new exercises.

73,
Chris

Chris Sullivan

Mar 17, 2023, 7:21:00 PM3/17/23
to York Region Amateur Radio Club, ry...@ryanmcollins.com
Simplex Saturday resumes tomorrow at 9AM sharp. 146.46 MHz (146.40 backup).

As before, I will ask for check ins at the beginning, then will call everyone in turn. As it's been a while, we'll go back to signal reports, but add a position report as well. Please provide your 6 character grid square in addition to the signal report.

Next weekend, we'll continue with message communications.

73,
Chris VE3NRT

Chris Sullivan

Mar 24, 2023, 10:33:58 AM3/24/23
to York Region Amateur Radio Club
I will not be able to run the Simplex Saturday net tomorrow due to a family commitment (20-30 in-laws coming to visit). The next net will be April 1. No foolin'

73,
Chris

Chris Sullivan

Mar 31, 2023, 12:21:28 PM3/31/23
to York Region Amateur Radio Club, Chris Sullivan

Simplex Saturday is a voice communication net held on Saturdays at 0900 local time on 146.46 (YRARC Channel 21) Simplex. If the frequency is in use we will use 146.40 (YRARC 22). Net control is Chris VE3NRT in Aurora.

This week’s net will ask you to copy a radiogram. You can use this form, which is a fillable PDF, and save it, or use the ARRL Radio Template in Winlink. You could also use a paper radiogram form if you like, although you would need to type it in later or scan it to complete the exercise. Sending a radiogram, or in an emergency, an ICS form such as ICS-213, is a great skill for our club to develop. The connection between a voice net and Winlink could be of great benefit to smoothly handle messages originating from, say, a mobile station with voice-only, to then hop on to the Winlink network to get to their final destination, or vice-versa. Previous nets have shown that training in voice procedures is necessary to ensure accurate message transfer.

For this exercise I will read a sample radiogram on the air for you to copy, then ask each person in turn to acknowledge and request any fills they may require. After the net is over, please send me what you have copied either by email to pres...@yrarc.org or to VE3NRT via Winlink.

For more information about the radiogram see pp28-33 of the RRI Traffic Operations manual and K5VR traffic handling training. For those with lots of time, you can peruse the ARRL Voice Traffic Procedures at your leisure. If you read enough, you will notice discrepancies between various versions of these procedures, perhaps even in the same document, so we will try to learn what is best for us.

If you want to use Winlink, which is the easiest way to do this, use the Radiogram.txt template in the Radiograms and RRI Forms section. For the liaison station, enter VE3NRT and the message will be addressed to me. I will not be sending any operational notes. X-RAY in the message text indicates a break or stop, i.e., between sentences. Enter an X in the form and note that it counts as a word.

It might take two or three attempts to get this exercise right. There are a lot of things to remember. Here's an example. The completed Radiogram form for this message is attached..

NUMBER  FOUR NINER

ROUTINE

HOTEL X-RAY GOLF

VICTOR ECHO THREE NOVEMBER ROMEO TANGO

TWO FOUR

AURORA

THIRTEEN HUNDREE ZULU

APRIL ONE

STEPHEN I SPELL SIERRA TANGO ECHO PAPA HOTEL ECHO NOVEMBER HOLLAND I SPELL HOTEL OSCAR LIMA LIMA ALPHA NOVEMBER DELTA

AMATEUR CALL VICTOR ECHO THREE YANKEE ROMEO ALPHA

POST OFFICE BOX TWO EIGHT FIFE NINER ZERO

AURORA ONTARIO

LIMA FOUR GOLF SIX SIERRA SIX

FIGURES NINER ZERO FIFE FIFE FIFE FIFE TWO TREE SIX EIGHT​

APRIL FIGURES ONE

THIRTEEN HUNDRED ZULU

BREAK (I will drop here. In a one-to-one transmission, receiver could ask for fills of the preamble)

WE HOPE YOU ARE LOOKING

FORWARD TO FIELD DAY AS

MUCH AS THE REST OF

US X-RAY FIGURES 73 CHRIS I SPELL CHARLIE HOTEL ROMEO INDIA SIERRA

BREAK (will not drop here)

CHRIS VE3NRT END

(Will drop here)

After transmission I will call each station and ask for confirmation,

VE3MUU THIS IS VE3NRT OVER

replies would be something like.

VE3NRT THIS IS VE3MUU ROGER  FOUR NINER  OVER

Fills could be requested:

VE3NRT THIS IS VE3MUU WORD AFTER AS OVER

VE3MUU THIS IS VE3NRT AS MUCH AS WE OVER

VE3NRT THIS IS VE3MUU ROGER FOUR NINER OVER

VE3NRT THIS IS VE3MUU WORD ALL BEFORE ARE OVER

VE3MUU THIS IS VE3NRT WE HOPE YOU ARE OVER

VE3NRT THIS IS VE3MUU ROGER FOUR NINER OVER

VE3NRT THIS IS VE3MUU WORD ALL BETWEEN ARE AND DAY OVER

VE3MUU THIS IS VE3NRT ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO FIELD DAY OVER

VE3NRT THIS IS VE3MUU ROGER FOUR NINER OVER

VE3NRT THIS IS VE3MUU PRECEDENCE OVER

VE3MUU THIS IS VE3NRT ROUTINE OVER

VE3NRT THIS IS VE3MUU ROGER FOUR NINER OVER

73,
Chris

2023-04-01 Simplex Saturday Radiogram.pdf

Benny VE3MUU

Apr 1, 2023, 9:13:14 AM4/1/23
to yrarc...@yrarc.org
Here is the form:

--
Benny Muus
VE3MUU

Chris Sullivan

Apr 7, 2023, 5:15:09 PM4/7/23
to York Region Amateur Radio Club, benn...@gmail.com
This week will be the same as last week, with new text of course. I tried the Winlink form and tabbing between fields is reasonably fast, and formatting the words into separate fields is done automatically, so I'd recommend that approach rather than the PDF form, if it is available to you.

9AM sharp, as usual on 146.46 FM (no tone required)

73,
CHris

Chris Sullivan

Apr 14, 2023, 6:20:38 PM4/14/23
to York Region Amateur Radio Club, Chris Sullivan, benn...@gmail.com
I thought that tomorrow's net it might be worth it to try converting the net from controlled to round-robin. To do this we will, as before, check in when called, then when each of you is called tell me who you can hear. Based on that I will read out the order, and each person will hand it off to the next. If you have to leave the round robin, just say so and hand it off as usual, When it comes back to me I will let the previous person know who to call instead, or maybe several people will need to change it that is required. You should keep track on your own who you can hear, in what order, etc.

i.e. VA3DXZ this is VE3NRT. thanks for the tip, I'll try it today. VA3LJL this is VE3NRT OVER.

and so on. You will need to pay attention to what's going on to not drop the ball.

 As usual FM simplex channel 21 146.460, with channel 22 146.400 as backup if primary channel is busy. No tone.

73, and see you tomorrow.

Chris Sullivan

Apr 21, 2023, 8:37:09 PM4/21/23
to York Region Amateur Radio Club, Chris Sullivan, benn...@gmail.com
By popular demand, tomorrow we will try another radiogram. Tomorrow will be a bit more challenging with some more interesting words, but no tricks in the preamble or closing :-)

If you want some light reading, ARRL has a complete voice procedures manual. It is 58 pages, and I'm still working my way through it. Feel free to quote it if I do anything wrong.

9AM sharp 146.46 FM (146.40 backup).

73,
Chris

Roger Miller

Apr 21, 2023, 8:50:38 PM4/21/23
to yrarc...@yrarc.org
Chris--I am off to Pickering at 8AM.  rog

Hug a musician--they never get to dance!!

Regards, Roger  🎷  VE3EZ/VE3ROG

Chris Sullivan

May 5, 2023, 6:37:45 PM5/5/23
to York Region Amateur Radio Club
For tomorrow's net we'll check in with signal reports like we've done before, then QSY to 70cm and get comparative signal reports.

2m frequency will be 146.46 (ch 21), with 146.40 backup (ch 22).
70cm frequency will be 446.025 (ch 41) with 446.050 backup (ch 42).

Net starts at 9AM sharp.

73,
Chris

Chris McGaffey

May 5, 2023, 9:10:40 PM5/5/23
to yrarc...@yrarc.org
Hi Chris, my apologies but I won't be able to join in tomorrow.

73, Chris
VA3DXZ

Roger Miller

May 6, 2023, 9:38:08 AM5/6/23
to yrarc...@yrarc.org
Chris--confirming--Stations heard on VHF:  VE3NRT, VE3EVF.  Heard on UHF :VA3MCT.

Have confirmed SWR 1.3 on UHF X50 ant @ 35ft   rog

Hug a musician--they never get to dance!!

Regards, Roger  🎷  VE3EZ/VE3ROG

Chris Sullivan

May 12, 2023, 6:07:47 PM5/12/23
to York Region Amateur Radio Club, Roger Miller
As I mentioned on last week's net several of us are at Bruce's Mill waving the club flag at the Community Safety Village tomorrow so I won't be able to run the net tomorrow morning. Back on the 20th. Watch the POTA spots as we're hoping activate the park.

73,
Chris

Chris Sullivan

May 19, 2023, 7:11:00 PM5/19/23
to York Region Amateur Radio Club, Chris Sullivan
Tomorrow's net will resemble our previous one, hopefully with better results. We will start on 146.46 (Ch 21) FM as usual, then move to 146.40 (Ch 22) backup channel. Then on to 446.025 (Ch 41) and then 446.050 backup (Ch 42). Please make sure you have those frequencies set to simplex. It appears that at least one type of Yaesu radio assumes the 70cm frequencies are repeaters and sets the to -5MHz offset by default.

9:00AM Sharp on 146.46.

73,
Chris

Roger Miller

May 20, 2023, 9:41:03 AM5/20/23
to yrarc...@yrarc.org
Report 20May23  VE3EZ 404/407 Thornhill
CH 21 Stations heard: VE3NRT, VA3MCT, VE3EVF
CH 21 VE3NRT, VA3MCT, VE3EVF
CH 41 VE3NRT, VA3DXZ, VE3EVF
CH 42  NIL

WRT Digi sig on Frequency--My APRS  VE3ROG-11 was off the air during the net.

rog

Hug a musician--they never get to dance!!

Regards, Roger  🎷  VE3EZ/VE3ROG

Chris Sullivan

May 22, 2023, 8:03:10 AM5/22/23
to York Region Amateur Radio Club
I decoded the packets and determined who they were coming from. It was accidental and the transmissions have now been moved to the correct frequency.

73,
Chris

Roger Miller

May 22, 2023, 8:25:30 AM5/22/23
to yrarc...@yrarc.org
EmojiEmoji

Hug a musician--they never get to dance!!

Regards, Roger  🎷  VE3EZ/VE3ROG

Mark Stevenson

May 25, 2023, 6:43:11 PM5/25/23
to yrarc...@yrarc.org
I will not be on the Emergency net this Saturday as I will be in the field practicing Emergency Field Operations with fellow club members.

Chris Sullivan

May 26, 2023, 8:12:21 PM5/26/23
to York Region Amateur Radio Club
I have a sample ICS-213 to try on everyone tomorrow. Some examples I have seen are multiple pages, which would take a long time to read, but others are short, which I will use.

Or use Winlink.

As before, 146.46 (ch 21) backup 146.40 (ch 22). After the net we will test Roger's new setup on 70cm.

73 & see you tomorrow,
Chris

Chris Sullivan

Jun 1, 2023, 8:52:28 PM6/1/23
to York Region Amateur Radio Club, Chris Sullivan
The club is supporting an event in Mt. Albert this weekend, so we are unavailable for the net. I'll be unavailable for personal reasons for the 2 Saturdays after that, so The next net will be June 24th.

73,
Chris

Roger Miller

Jun 2, 2023, 8:11:05 AM6/2/23