Shipping from US to Canada - Shiipsy vs Cross Border Pickup

John Chin

Apr 16, 2021, 10:42:11 AM4/16/21
to York Region Amateur Radio Club
At the last club meeting, some one mention that they use Shippsy to ship across the border.  I did not get a spelling of the company name.  I found a number of companies with a similar name.  Is Shippsy the one that you used?

I current use Cross Border Pickup.  Did you pick Shippsy (https://shippsy.com) because it better than Cross Border Pickups (https://www.crossborderpickups.ca/).  How are they better?

Does Shippsy ship faster than Cross Border Pickups?  I know during the pandemic Cross Border Pickups is slower and they only accept deliveries during the weekdays (work day).

Although shippsy appears slightly cheaper, they do charge 3% transaction fee on import duty & taxes. Cross Border Pickups does not charge a transaction fee.

Are they others companies that someone would recommend?

73,
John VA3BOF

.

Robert Galambos DEC CEC VA3BXG

Apr 16, 2021, 10:54:44 AM4/16/21
to 'Charles Smith' via York Region Amateur Radio Club
1) I use cross border
2) they also charge 3% of fees ( credit card charge)
3) they are a little more expensive, BUT cross-border does not do what shippy does, in that they will open your package and take picture, and you will need to send the copy of the invoice. Privacy is an issue for me.

DEC for YORK & DURHAM Region ARES.
ASEC GTA ARES section
When all else fails

John Leonardelli

Apr 16, 2021, 11:54:52 AM4/16/21
to yrarc.group
Robert, I have never had CBP open the package and take a photo of secret items

They did do me a $15 favour, where they do not accept packages form overseas. They did accept a package from japan and just recently one from the ukraine.

A ukraine seller stopped shipping to Canada after get ripped off by some buyers so i had him ship to CBP instead

CBP could have denied the package but accepted it but they did ding me $15 because of the extra work involved

John VE3IPS

Ham Radio is a life$$$tyle not a Hobby!
Take the radio outside and operate from the Field
Throw a wire in a tree and make a QSO

Alex Sutherland VA3ASE

Apr 16, 2021, 12:39:35 PM4/16/21
to yrarc...@yrarc.org
I have used both and found I've saved a lot of money with Shippsy vs Cross Border Pickups. CBP has extra fees if you have multiple items in a shipment whereas Shippsy just charges for the box. Otherwise they're virtually identical.

Both Shippsy and Cross Border Pickups open packages to verify the contents. I've experienced this first hand. I assume this is for liability with restricted goods. CBP seems to dig deeper into a package, say if the parts are wrapped in bubble wrap they'll open it completely. Shippsy stops at the bubble wrap. Their photos are pretty useless in my experience (they charge extra if you want detailed photos).

If this is an issue for some reason I don't think either company is suitable for you. You're already declaring what is in the shipment so I don't see any additional privacy loss. I worry more about what happens if items are missing or damaged, who to blame. Haven't gone through that yet though.

73,
Alex VA3ASE

Robert Galambos DEC CEC VA3BXG

Apr 16, 2021, 12:51:52 PM4/16/21
to 'Charles Smith' via York Region Amateur Radio Club
I meant that shippsy was the one who opens packages and take pictures,  not cbp

DEC for YORK & DURHAM Region ARES.
ASEC GTA ARES section
When all else fails

Robert Galambos DEC CEC VA3BXG

Apr 16, 2021, 12:51:57 PM4/16/21
to 'Charles Smith' via York Region Amateur Radio Club
I have never had cbp opening my parcels for various suppliers

Not sure why you were 'lucky". Nor was I required to send them an invoice.

Maybe because I have a pretty face???)?

DEC for YORK & DURHAM Region ARES.
ASEC GTA ARES section
When all else fails
I current use Cross Border Pickup.  Did you pick Shippsy ( https://shippsy.com) because it better than Cross Border Pickups ( https://www.crossborderpickups.ca/).  How are they better?

Does Shippsy ship faster than Cross Border Pickups?  I know during the pandemic Cross Border Pickups is slower and they only accept deliveries during the weekdays (work day).

Although shippsy appears slightly cheaper, they do charge 3% transaction fee on import duty & taxes. Cross Border Pickups does not charge a transaction fee.

Are they others companies that someone would recommend?

73,
John VA3BOF

.

Alex Sutherland VA3ASE

Apr 16, 2021, 1:03:34 PM4/16/21
to yrarc...@yrarc.org
Could it be you just didn't notice? They seemed to take care to wrap everything up again but looking closely I could see where the tape was cut. Pretty sure I've seen evidence on all the 4 or 5 shipments I've received through them.

I imported a car transmission using CBP. The shipper (from eBay) had put it into an industrial garbage bag, and put that into a large box filled with packing peanuts. He then injected expanding foam into the peanuts so it formed a rigid foam shell. Extremely well packed in preparation for FedEx throwing the 100lb cardboard box out of trucks. CBP opened one end of the box then noped out when they saw how it was packed and just sent it though. Took me over an hour to get the transmission out of the box but it came all the way from California and wasn't damaged at all.

John Leonardelli

John Chin

Apr 16, 2021, 7:10:07 PM4/16/21
to York Region Amateur Radio Club
I can see why and understand that they may want to check what is in the shipment to make sure it is legal.

You cannot expect any privacy when you ship across the border.  Anything that is shipped across the border is subject to Canada Custom inspecting the contents.  It can be a random draw on whether they inspect the package or not.  I would have a problem if shippers publicly display all shipments for no reason

I have never shipped anything that I would need the package to be kept so private that I would not want anyone to open up the package.  I am okay if they need to legally open the package.

Hmm.  Anyone looking to hire Frank Martin from the The Transporter trilogy movies.

I just want the shipper to be a reliable shipper.

John.