Earthlings and astronauts chat away, via ham radio

Brian Waterworth

Dec 24, 2020, 6:09:44 AM12/24/20
to York Region Amateur Radio Club
Good morning...I read the below article this morning about Ham radio and the International Space Station.  Based on the Health & Wellness net's 10-sec question that Chris (VE3NRT) asked last night, this article had some wonderful elmer-like messages.
--
regards,
Brian

Paul Mortfield

Dec 24, 2020, 12:59:04 PM12/24/20
to yrarc...@yrarc.org
thanks for sharing Brian.
And the ISS is sending SSTV images until Dec 31.  It just started and caught some images from a low pass around 30min ago.
Some better passes happening tomorrow.
73, paul. VA3FUZ

Pablo Sabbag

Dec 24, 2020, 1:04:31 PM12/24/20
to yrarc...@yrarc.org
I heard some activity on the repeater side too. Like an hour ago.

VA3ASE

Dec 24, 2020, 3:15:47 PM12/24/20
to yrarc...@yrarc.org
You guys beat me to it but I've been preparing some information on the SSTV event from the ISS. I've put together a how-to video for using free software with a simple SDR receiver (SDRplay or RTL-SDR) and a vertical antenna. You may be surprised at how well the setup works. Best of all you can leave it unmonitored and go to sleep, work, etc. then come back later and see what images you decoded.

Here is a video from the first ISS pass earlier today. I've also attached the images I received.

And a more detailed video I made yesterday on the software setup:

If anyone has any questions on this or requests for future videos please let me know.

73 and Merry Christmas!
Alex VA3ASE

202012241722.jpg
202012241717.jpg