Winter Field Day Logger

John Leonardelli

Jan 12, 2021, 8:09:23 AM1/12/21
to yrarc.group

Winter Field Day Logger

We've added a Winter Field Day Logging module. This module is similar to our summer Field Day Logger with changes for the Winter Field Day Rules. Login to qruqsp.org/manager to check it out.

If you're going to be running multi operator, contact us for help to set that up.

View full article online

All content © Copyright 2021 by QRUQSP

Unsubscribe

--
Sent with a Palm Pilot. Ve3ips.wordpress.com
Radio: it's not just a hobby, it's a way of life

Danny K5CG

Jan 12, 2021, 9:37:18 AM1/12/21
to York Region Amateur Radio Club, ve3...@gmail.com
After MANY attempts by email with the WFD guys to have the scoring explained and corrected for my local club's outing in 2019, they finally acquiesced and just published the score I told them it was only to shut me up.

They never explained how the score they originally posted was different than the calculation I had submitted. I suspect their scoring algorithm was wrong for every single submission that year.

Winter Field Day is a fun outing, but go into it with your eyes wide open and forget about winning or even an having an accurate score reported. Could you postulate that so long as the score is calculated incorrectly for everybody then it is a level playing field? Sure. It's a preparedness exercise, I've been told.

Maybe they've fixed the scoring issue(s), maybe they haven't, but the way they handed my inquiry was not satisfactory in my view.

Knock yourself out.

Danny

John Leonardelli

Jan 12, 2021, 11:33:40 AM1/12/21
to yrarc.group
The program seems to be in the cloud so bring wifi to your WFD site

John VE3IPS

Ham Radio is a life$$$tyle not a Hobby!
Take the radio outside and operate from the Field
Throw a wire in a tree and make a QSO

Patrick

Jan 12, 2021, 12:02:38 PM1/12/21
to YRARC Google GROUP
With Skylink coming online won't be much longer until everywhere is always cloudy.

Pablo Sabbag

Jan 12, 2021, 12:03:09 PM1/12/21
to York Region Amateur Radio Club, ve3...@gmail.com
If you do not have wifi, the POTA folks recommended the VLS Logger to me, for mobile phone or tablet. It works without a connection to the Internet. It has the ability to export the log to ADIF once you done with the event.
I gave it a try yesterday and is really nice for POTA. Not sure for WFD. Maybe someone can take a look and let us know.

73,
Pablo, VA3HDL

ve3e...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2021, 2:00:53 PM1/12/21
to yrarc...@yrarc.org

The astronomers are already complaining… .

John Leonardelli

Jan 12, 2021, 2:07:41 PM1/12/21
to yrarc.group
Ok back to a ARRL logbook and pencils

I cant have my log book data hacked

I dont log my Ontars daily checkins

John VE3IPS

Ham Radio is a life$$$tyle not a Hobby!
Take the radio outside and operate from the Field
Throw a wire in a tree and make a QSO

VA3ASE

Jan 12, 2021, 2:07:53 PM1/12/21
to yrarc...@yrarc.org
The N3FJP Winter Field Day logger works well without an internet connection. Not free but not very expensive either ($9USD).

I recommend AC Log for general logging and personally purchased the whole N3FJP package with no regrets.

73,
Alex VA3ASE

ve3e...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2021, 2:18:52 PM1/12/21
to yrarc...@yrarc.org, va3...@gmail.com

Hey Alex

Speaking of satellites… I repurposed an old Pi the other night and installed this …

http://www.clearskyinstitute.com/ham/HamClock/

Impressed so far and It allows the basic tracking of satellites… I have the ISS selected on the attached photo … assuming phots pass thru the filter here …

Steve

Ve3eZ

World.jpg

John Leonardelli

Jan 12, 2021, 4:33:49 PM1/12/21
to yrarc.group
Thanks steve I just fished out the Pi 2 I threw out so I can use that for this clock with a 32 inch monitor

I can now bring the Geochron upstairs on the 72" plasma

Looks like ist still nightime in Australia

John VE3IPS

Ham Radio is a life$$$tyle not a Hobby!
Take the radio outside and operate from the Field
Throw a wire in a tree and make a QSO

Brian Waterworth

Jan 12, 2021, 4:36:39 PM1/12/21
to York Region Amateur Radio Club, Alex ASE
Me on the other hand, I wasn't too impressed with Ham Clock.  I ended up abandoning it.   Worth a try for sure; it just wasn't for me.

--
regards,
Brian

Robert Galambos DEC CEC VA3BXG

Jan 12, 2021, 5:20:57 PM1/12/21
to 'Danny K5CG' via York Region Amateur Radio Club
You have the digital geochron, the the mechanical?

DEC for YORK & DURHAM Region ARES.
ASEC GTA ARES section
When all else fails

ve3e...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2021, 5:32:09 PM1/12/21
to yrarc...@yrarc.org, Alex ASE

Well, we DO know that you’re hard to please … And always cold.. 😊

Has been interesting to watch for the past day or so as I toil in my home office here in the bunker…  it was free after all and makes a good shack backdrop during Zoom calls if nothing else.

Solar flux is up almost three points from yesterday and the ISS is currently over eastern Europe…

Steve

Ve3eZ

John Leonardelli

John Leonardelli

Jan 12, 2021, 5:34:50 PM1/12/21
to yrarc.group
Steve

I submitted the ham clock app feature request for Zoom. It would be awesome to have that and lets see if they develop it

Zoom on a Pis would be very cool with no need to reboot for patches and windoze fixes

I will use yours as a background going forward

It sure would be useful to to have it notify through Slack as well

John VE3IPS

Ham Radio is a life$$$tyle not a Hobby!
Take the radio outside and operate from the Field
Throw a wire in a tree and make a QSO

Alex Sutherland VA3ASE

Jan 12, 2021, 9:58:07 PM1/12/21
to ve3e...@gmail.com, yrarc...@yrarc.org
That is really cool Steve. I happen to have a spare monitor and a raspberry Pi I've never done anything with so I'll definitely try to get this working. It would look cool under my vintage Yaesu 24 hour world time clock.

Alex VA3ASE
20210112_215609_resized.jpg

John Leonardelli

Jan 13, 2021, 7:42:39 AM1/13/21
to yrarc...@yrarc.org, ve3e...@gmail.com
Alex the clock is highly collectible

Chris Sullivan

Jan 13, 2021, 8:52:41 AM1/13/21
to York Region Amateur Radio Club, ve3...@gmail.com, ve3e...@gmail.com
The N1MM+ logger has a built in ham clock and displays the locations of stations you have spotted and/or worked on the map. Internet is only required for telnet spotting service and setup although I think in a pinch it could be set up from a portable drive or USB stick..

BTW I've worked both N1MM & N3FJP in contests recently.

73,
Chris

Robert Galambos DEC CEC VA3BXG

Jan 13, 2021, 9:07:54 AM1/13/21
to 'Danny K5CG' via York Region Amateur Radio Club, John Leonardelli, ve3e...@gmail.com
I do have a couple of questions

1) which digital modes will people be using during WFD? And why?

2) Chris, do you use labs with n1mm and how well does it work?

DEC for YORK & DURHAM Region ARES.
ASEC GTA ARES section
When all else fails

president YRARC

Jan 13, 2021, 9:43:30 AM1/13/21
to York Region Amateur Radio Club, va3...@gmail.com, ve3...@gmail.com, ve3e...@gmail.com
Hi Robert,

1) I've used RTTY, PSK and SSTV in the past. I don't know the current rules (yet) but back then different modes counted for multipliers, though I can't recall if RTTY and PSK were separate multipliers. The other reason is/was that other people used those modes so contacts could be made. Maybe I can find a Feld-Hell contact too!

2) During contests I use N1MM instead of DXLAB. I don't use propview much but I guess it might be a useful addition. N1MM has really good radio control and is designed for speed of making contacts, minimal keystrokes, etc. The flip side is that it is more complicated than other programs. Once the contest is over I export both a Cabrillo and ADIF file, send the Cabrillo to the contest managers and to supercheckpartial, and import the ADIF into DXkeeper for the permanent record and synchronization with LoTW and eQSL. Lately also then going into qrz.com and synchronizing that with LoTW. There's a certain satisfaction in uploading several hundred contacts from a contest into LoTW, and most contesters use it so the confirmation rate is quite high.

73,
Chris

John Leonardelli

John Leonardelli

Brian Waterworth

Jan 13, 2021, 11:37:27 AM1/13/21
to York Region Amateur Radio Club, president YRARC, va3...@gmail.com, ve3e...@gmail.com
On page 4 of the WFD Rules, you will find the answer to your question John.  Also, if you can be farther than 30' away from your main station and work outside on your property, you could qualify for 1I as opposed to 1H and stay compliant with the emergency stay-at-home order from the Ontario Gov.

--
regards,
Brian

John Leonardelli

Jan 13, 2021, 5:36:06 PM1/13/21
to yrarc.group, president YRARC, va3...@gmail.com, ve3e...@gmail.com
Brian

I am looking at a Hammock Operation off the trees in the ravine behind my house which is 40 ft away. I can run a 50 ft extension cord with a heater but thats cheating

UberEats will deliver with special instructions "leave food in backyard hanging on fence hook"

Home Depot bucket solves the Johnny in a Spot problem and I have a Yaesu sticker on it so its RAC apporved

image.png