This is cool to watch - VA3HDL POTA

Mike VA3MCT

Jan 12, 2021, 9:57:25 AM1/12/21
to York Region Amateur Radio Club
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCxQ4S__pqM

Congrats on first activation and a cool video

Mike Crabtree - VA3MCT - Emergency Coordinator York Region ARES

Pablo Sabbag

Jan 12, 2021, 4:55:52 PM1/12/21
to York Region Amateur Radio Club, va3mct
Thanks Mike!

All the missing portable "Setup" information from the video is here:

Power, battery, antenna, etc.

73,
Pablo, VA3HDL

Mike VA3MCT

Jan 12, 2021, 5:11:47 PM1/12/21
to Pablo Sabbag, York Region Amateur Radio Club
Pablo,

Thanks for the fascinating video and the install update.

So I noticed you didn't take your little bag of "earth".

73

Mike

Pablo Sabbag

Jan 12, 2021, 5:15:44 PM1/12/21
to York Region Amateur Radio Club, va3mct, York Region Amateur Radio Club
oh Mike you made me laugh...
I forgot the bag of dirt for grounding, maybe that was easier than installing the terminals and the braided strips :-)
or Alex rod in dirt bucket...

73

John Leonardelli

Jan 12, 2021, 5:43:07 PM1/12/21
to yrarc.group
Dont forget the 891 has voice memories

Transmitter Convenience Features; Voice Memory ( Ssb/Am Modes ); Voice Memory Operation

Everyone says the Optek antenna is garbage but Pablo proves it works

I love Dashbaord portable ops

John VE3IPS

Ham Radio is a life$$$tyle not a Hobby!
Take the radio outside and operate from the Field
Throw a wire in a tree and make a QSO

Pablo Sabbag

Jan 12, 2021, 6:22:36 PM1/12/21
to York Region Amateur Radio Club, ve3...@gmail.com
John,

Mine is 857D not the 891.

Not bad for the Opek, nice spread, seems like it was favoring the south, probably has to do with the direction I parked the car.

VA3HDL@VE-0198.png

73
Pablo, VA3HDL

John Leonardelli

Jan 12, 2021, 6:50:39 PM1/12/21
to Pablo Sabbag, York Region Amateur Radio Club
hi hi your hat in the way   good job   now we got lock down so its over for now

VE3IPS Backyard on the air qrz?

John VE3IPS

Ham Radio is a life$$$tyle not a Hobby!
Take the radio outside and operate from the Field
Throw a wire in a tree and make a QSO

Pablo Sabbag

Jan 13, 2021, 10:14:11 AM1/13/21
to York Region Amateur Radio Club, ve3...@gmail.com, York Region Amateur Radio Club
Parks are still open and there are only certain restrictions that are the same as pre-lockdown.
It should be no issues operating from your own car on the park parking lot, or nearby, practising social distancing accordingly.

POTA continues! Stay tuned for the next activation

73,
Pablo, VA3HDL

John Leonardelli

Jan 13, 2021, 11:19:08 AM1/13/21
to Pablo Sabbag, York Region Amateur Radio Club
even with the Emergency measures act?

with a stay at home order we are not able to do anything

i may install a treadmill at the park so i can exercise and ham radio on the Icom 705??

Ontario has declared a second provincial emergency as a result of high COVID-19 transmission rates. The government will also be issuing a stay-at-home order requiring everyone to remain at home with exceptions for essential purposes. Additionally, the government will enact the following public health measures that will come into effect on January 13, 2021 at 12:01 a.m.:

  • Outdoor organized public gatherings and social gatherings are further restricted to a limit of five people with limited exceptions
  • Individuals are required to wear a mask or face covering in the indoor areas of businesses or organizations that are open. Wearing a mask or face covering is now recommended outdoors when you can't physically distance more than two metres.
  • All non-essential retail stores, including hardware stores, alcohol retailers, and those offering curbside pickup or delivery, must open no earlier than 7 a.m. and close no later than 8 p.m. The restricted hours of operation do not apply to stores that primarily sell food, pharmacies, gas stations, convenience stores, and restaurants for takeout or delivery.
  • Non-essential construction is further restricted, including below-grade construction, exempting survey.
John VE3IPS

Ham Radio is a life$$$tyle not a Hobby!
Take the radio outside and operate from the Field
Throw a wire in a tree and make a QSO

Pablo Sabbag

Jan 13, 2021, 11:35:29 AM1/13/21
to York Region Amateur Radio Club, ve3...@gmail.com, York Region Amateur Radio Club
John,

The link I provided is current as of today https://www.ontarioparks.com/covid19 Take a look.
How being on your own car on a parking lot is a risk to anyone's health? or transmit any disease?

This part "stay-at-home order requiring everyone to remain at home with exceptions for essential purposes" I believe applies going places with you will be with other people.
How this could apply if going out and staying isolated from others on your own car?

Is at least, confusing.

73,
Pablo, VA3HDL

Stephen Orr

Jan 13, 2021, 11:44:10 AM1/13/21
to yrarc.group, ve3...@gmail.com
In addition to reducing the spread, the stay at home approach is also meant to try and reduce the burden on other services like Police Fire Ambulance...

In other words if your at home you're less likely to be in a car accident or have a heart attack and therefore less likely to need other services that may be stretched thin and have staffing issues themselves.

This is the same reason that they often put a halt to burn permits in rural areas during the same time to reduce the calls for and exposure for Fire services.

Pablo Sabbag

Jan 13, 2021, 11:58:07 AM1/13/21
to York Region Amateur Radio Club, ve3e...@gmail.com, ve3...@gmail.com
Thanks Steve, that makes sense.

John Leonardelli

Jan 13, 2021, 12:01:28 PM1/13/21
to Pablo Sabbag, York Region Amateur Radio Club, ve3e...@gmail.com
Stve , if my make shift antenna support comes down and smashes me in my car , if i call for EMS do I pay for the ride to emerg and also the YRP civil disobedience fine?

I may have to get a mag mount and operate like Pablo to avoid the risk

John VE3IPS

Ham Radio is a life$$$tyle not a Hobby!
Take the radio outside and operate from the Field
Throw a wire in a tree and make a QSO

Patrick

Jan 13, 2021, 12:35:45 PM1/13/21
to YRARC Google GROUP, ve3...@gmail.com
I believe Southlake currently has 5 active outbreaks, ~20% of their beds with covid patients, and I have heard of people including the CEO of Southlake who have caught covid within the hospital even with their protocols, so I'm with you thinking it is generally a place you want to avoid these days if you can.

Rob Barnett VE3RQB

Jan 13, 2021, 12:51:08 PM1/13/21
to yrarc.group

no visitors to any hospital unless your dying,  my neighbor was admitted 2 weeks ago his  wife hasn't seen him since RQB

John Leonardelli