Block (Inappropriate) GIF

Rabbi Shaya Greiniman

Oct 25, 2023, 2:42:19 PM10/25/23
to safedoc-...@xfanatical.com, Jason Huang
Is there a way to block GIFs on managed chromebooks?
My students discovered the GIFs in the emojis tab (from the shortcut) and some are HIGHLY inappropriate.
Thank you.
RSG

Jason Huang

Oct 25, 2023, 3:15:26 PM10/25/23
to Safe Doc Community, Safe Doc Community
Hello RSG,

It's uncertain where the GIFs you're referring to. Google Chat has a feature of inserting GIFs, but it may not be the one you asked.
To better understand your problem, please share some more information.
  • From which Google Workspace service, website or Chrome application is the GIF feature?
  • What are the steps to use the GIF feature and reproduce the issue?
Thank you.
-Jason from xFanatical

Rabbi Shaya Greiniman

Oct 26, 2023, 4:22:55 PM10/26/23
to Jason Huang, Safe Doc Community
In any text input section, use keyboard shortcut <search+shift+spacebar> to open the emojis tab. In the latest chrome update, GIFs have been added to the panel. See attached screenshot.
If you see it on a chromebook on the first time after the latest update, it has a small logo next to it to draw attention to it, as it is a new addition.
We are looking for a way to block it ASAP!
Thank you.
RSG
IMG_20231026_134744.jpg

Jason Huang

Oct 26, 2023, 5:04:00 PM10/26/23
to Safe Doc Community, rabbigr...@hillelacademyfaculty.com, Safe Doc Community
Hello RSG,

Thanks for the screenshot.

This is a Chrome OS exclusive feature called Emoji Picker. It was introduced in Chrome OS v92. In the recent Chrome OS v117, Google added GIF support in the emoji picker. As this is an integrated part of the Chrome OS, Safe Doc has no capability to block them.
Luckily Google added an administrative policy EmojiPickerGifSupportEnabled to disable the GIF support.
Go to Google Admin Console > Devices > Chrome > Settings > User & browser settings > User experience > GIF Support in Emoji Picker, and select the policy to Do not allow GIFs to be selected in the Emoji picker
screenshot_2023-10-26_13-59-58.jpg

I hope it helps.
Cheers,
-Jason

Dovid Cynamon

Nov 2, 2023, 5:51:20 PM11/2/23
to Safe Doc Community
FYI, it appears that the setting no longer works for chromeOs version 118. I'm in the process of submitting support info to google workspace support.

Rabbi Shaya Greiniman

Nov 3, 2023, 3:14:41 AM11/3/23
to Dovid Cynamon, Safe Doc Community
It didn't work then and still doesn't work now. Please submit your request (ticket) to the Google team.
A number of schools have done so, but no results yet.
Google team did recommend that we rollback to OS#116.
I know if a few schools that did it, my two schools included, and so far all is good.
RSG