[SING] 24 June 2021 10:00-11:00am: Jason C.S. Wu [Salesforce] / Conversations as Knowledge: from Question Answering to Summarization

Pan, Liangming

Jun 23, 2021, 5:19:33 AM6/23/21
to si...@wing.comp.nus.edu.sg
Dear Singapore NLP interest groups:

Here is the information for the 5-th talk of the WING-NUS NLP Seminar, a series of invited talks over this summer made by current rising stars in NLP.  The seminar website is at https://wing-nus.github.io/nlp-seminar/. Please join us at the Zoom address if you're interested.  The talk and slides may be made available on the website but please do join us to avoid disappointment.

The talk is open to all, so feel free to circulate to others you might think are interested.

WING-NUS NLP Seminar 2021 - Talk 5

Title: Conversations as Knowledge: from Question Answering to Summarization
Speaker: Jason C.S. Wu
Senior Research Scientist
Salesforce AI Research

Date/Time: 24 June 2021, Thursday, 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM
Venue: Join Zoom Meeting
http://bit.ly/knmnyn-zoom-nus
ZOOM Room ID: 770 447 8736, PIN: 3244
Chaired by: A/P Min-Yen Kan, School of Computing
(ka...@comp.nus.edu.sg)

ABSTRACT:
Having conversations is one of the most common ways to share knowledge and exchange information. With the increase of remote working, people rely heavily on online communication tools such as emails (e.g., Gmail), panels (e.g., Zoom), and channels (e.g., Slack). In this talk, we will move beyond using conversational data to build chatbots and mainly focus on how can we leverage past conversations as a knowledge source for various downstream tasks. We will cover two applications and their solutions as examples: 1) how to conduct question answering on conversations and what’s the challenge, and 3) how to generate a summary for conversations with controllable granularity and sketch supervision.

BIO-DATA:
Chien-Sheng (Jason) Wu is a senior research scientist at Salesforce AI Lab. His research focuses on natural language processing and conversational AI. He received the outstanding paper award at ACL 2019, the best paper award at NLP4ConvAI@ACL 2019, and the best paper award at ConvAI@NeurIPS 2019. Jason earned his Mphil degree from Electronic & Computer Engineering at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, and his bachelor’s degree from Electrical Engineering at the National Taiwan University. He serves as program committees for various leading conferences such as ACL/EMNLP/NeurIPS/ICLR/AAAI, and journals such as the IEEE/ACM Transactions on Audio Speech and Language Processing and Computer Speech and Languages.

Please contact me if you have any questions. Contact info:

Liangming Pan
Web Information Retrieval / Natural Language Processing Group (WING)
National University of Singapore

Thanks very much. Looking forward to your participation.

Thanks,
Liangming

Liangming Pan (潘亮铭)