27 May 2021 10:00-11:15am: Muhao Chen [USC] / Understanding Event Processes in Natural Language

Pan, Liangming

May 20, 2021, 1:21:13 AM5/20/21
to si...@wing.comp.nus.edu.sg
Dear Singapore NLP interest groups:

Min's NLP subgroup will be holding a series of invited talks over this summer made by current rising stars in NLP.  The seminar website is at https://wing-nus.github.io/nlp-seminar/. The first talk will be held next week on Thursday 10:00-11:00 and feature Muhao from USC discussing his work on Event Processes.  Please join us at the Zoom address if you're interested.  The talk and slides may be made available on the website but please do join us to avoid disappointment.

The talk is open to all, so feel free to circulate to others you might think are interested.

WING-NUS NLP Seminar 2021 - Talk 1

Title: Understanding Event Processes in Natural Language
Speaker: Prof. Muhao Chen
Assistant Research Professor
University of Southern California
Department of Computer Science
Date/Time: 27 May 2021, Thursday, 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM
Venue: Join Zoom Meeting
http://bit.ly/knmnyn-zoom-nus
ZOOM Room ID: 770 447 8736, PIN: 3244
Chaired by: A/P Min-Yen Kan, School of Computing
(ka...@comp.nus.edu.sg)

ABSTRACT:
Human languages evolve to communicate about events happening in the real world. Therefore, understanding events plays a critical role in natural language understanding (NLU). A key challenge to this mission lies in the fact that events are not just simple, standalone predicates. Rather, they are often described at different granularities, temporally form event processes, and are directed by specific central goals in a context. This talk covers recent advances in event process understanding in natural language. In this context, I will first introduce how to recognize the evolution of events from natural language, then how to solve fundamental problems of event process completion, intention prediction and membership prediction, and how knowledge about event processes can benefit various downstream NLU and machine perception tasks. I will also briefly present some open problems in this area, along with a system demonstration.

BIO-DATA:
Muhao Chen is an Assistant Research Professor at the Department of Computer Science, USC. Prior to USC, he was a postdoctoral fellow at UPenn. He received his Ph.D. from the Department of Computer Science at UCLA in 2019, and B.S. in Computer Science from Fudan University in 2014. His research focuses on data-driven machine learning approaches for processing structured data, and knowledge acquisition from unstructured data. Particularly, he is interested in developing knowledge-aware learning systems with generalizability and requiring minimal supervision, and with concrete applications to natural language understanding, knowledge base construction, computational biology and medicine. Muhao has published over 40 papers in leading Artificial Intelligence, Natural Language Processing and Computational Biology venues. His work has received a best student paper award at ACM BCB, and a best paper award nomination at CoNLL. Additional information is available at https://muhaochen.github.io/

Please contact me if you have any questions. Contact info:

Liangming Pan
Web Information Retrieval / Natural Language Processing Group (WING)
National University of Singapore
Email: peterpan...@gmail.com

Thanks very much. Looking forward to your participation.

Thanks,
Liangming

Liangming Pan (潘亮铭)

Web Information Retrieval / Natural Language Processing Group (WING)
National University of Singapore

Joty Shafiq Rayhan (Asst Prof)

May 20, 2021, 1:50:03 AM5/20/21
to si...@wing.comp.nus.edu.sg, liangm...@u.nus.edu
This is a great initiative and thanks for doing this.

I’d take this opportunity to also suggest that let us also have a similar seminar series to promote our “local" heroes (our PhD/Postdocs). This can give them a platform to share their work, collaborate across local universities, and build more confidence.
I strongly believe our local talents are nothing less than what we see in the Bay Area or other parts of the world. Another advantage of having our PhD/Postdocs speaking is that this can be quite technical (at the implementation level) which can benefit many.

Cheers,
Shafiq Joty
Asst. Prof @NTU,
Senior Manager @Salesforce AI Research

CONFIDENTIALITY: This email is intended solely for the person(s) named and may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it, notify us and do not copy, use, or disclose its contents.
Towards a sustainable earth: Print only when necessary. Thank you.

Min-Yen Kan

May 26, 2021, 9:50:04 PM5/26/21
to Singapore Natural Language Processing SIG
Hi Shafiq, that'd be great.  SSNLP started for a similar reason (actually, it doesn't seem anyone decided to try to organize it this year, any takers?).

Hope your group or others would be interested in doing such an arrangement!

CONFIDENTIALITY: This email is intended solely for the person(s) named and may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it, notify us and do not copy, use, or disclose its contents.
Towards a sustainable earth: Print only when necessary. Thank you.

Joty Shafiq Rayhan (Asst Prof)

May 27, 2021, 1:15:28 AM5/27/21
to si...@wing.comp.nus.edu.sg, #ZHAO RUOCHEN#
Hi Min,

Hope your group or others would be interested in doing such an arrangement!

We could take it if others are ok with that. My student Ruochen Zhao (https://www.linkedin.com/in/esther-ruochen-zhao-855357150/) has agreed to take a lead on this. We will follow-up with updates soon.

Thanks,
Shafiq

Kokil Jaidka

May 30, 2021, 9:58:51 PM5/30/21
to si...@wing.comp.nus.edu.sg, #ZHAO RUOCHEN#
Happy to support your and Ruochen coordinating this! Thank you for volunteering. SSNLP's been so well-attended and appreciated even during the pandemic.