A GraphQL interface to WikiCite

Roderic D. M. Page

Dec 22, 2021, 6:54:45 AM12/22/21
to wikicite-discuss
I've made a rather basic GraphQL interface to Wikidata that might be of interest to people who are looking to build apps on top of  Wikidata. For an example of what it can do there is a simple demo at https://wikicite-graphql.herokuapp.com/index.html

At the moment it supports scholarly articles, people, and journals. More types will be added as time allows. One motivation for this project is to make it straightforward to build websites for navigating bibliographic and related data. It's very much a toy at this stage (in line with my own level of understanding of GraphQL), but perhaps some will find it of interest.

As an example try https://wikicite-graphql.herokuapp.com/index.html?id=Q30582014 which displays the article "Finding needles in haystacks: linking scientific names, reference specimens and molecular data for Fungi", a list of authors (many with ORCID ids), and components of the citation graph such as what works it cites, what works cite it, and a list of related works (based on co-citation). Under the hood it is all SPARQL - GraphQL just provides a possibly more friendly way to interrogate the data.

Regards,

Rod