2020-21 Annual Report

Liam Wyatt

Oct 31, 2021, 11:29:27 AM10/31/21
to wikicite-discuss

Dear all,
Announced today at WikidataCon: the 2020-21 WikiCite annual report https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b9/WikiCite_2020-2021.pdf covering all the grants and events we've supported this last last year. This report is also available at Zenodo https://zenodo.org/record/5363757

[All annual reports at https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiCite/administration#Annual_reports]

I wish to also add that with this report we mark the end of the three year WikCite grant from the Sloan Foundation. Consequently this marks the formal end of the role of the Steering Committee and my role as its coordinator - a position I've held for the last two years. I thank everyone in the committee for their support involvement over these years: P. Ayers, M. Proffitt, D. Mietchen, A. Stinson, D. Taraborelli as well as my predecessor E. Seiver. I want to also thank the WMF staff without whom this grant, and the community grants and events which it funded would not have happened: A. Bittaker, J. Curiel, J. Tud, C. Virtue. Thank you one and all!

Sincerely,

Liam Wyatt [Wittylama]

Program Manager
for
 Enterprise, WikiCite, and Newcomer Experience

Wikimedia Foundation

Jodi Schneider

Oct 31, 2021, 1:11:24 PM10/31/21
to Liam Wyatt, wikicite-discuss
What, if anything, is going on regarding marking retraction status in WikiCite and related projects?

I see that page 20 shows an example with "publication status" - retracted (but not a link to the partial retraction or the full retraction) from Shared Citations

NISO is forming a workgroup to develop a Communication of Retractions, Removals, and Expressions of Concern (CORREC) Recommended Practice:
Potential volunteers can contact nis...@niso.org

And, I'm interested in improving retraction metadata in MediaWiki projects - and would be happy to chat with anybody working on this. One of my current projects is the Alfred P. Sloan-funded project, Reducing the Inadvertent Spread of Retracted Science: Shaping a Research and Implementation Agenda.

-Jodi
Information Quality Lab https://infoqualitylab.org

--
Meta: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiCite
Twitter: https://twitter.com/wikicite

Liam Wyatt

Oct 31, 2021, 1:22:30 PM10/31/21
to jschn...@pobox.com, wikicite-discuss
Dear Jodi,
The 'shared citations' proposal that you refer to - which includes a wireframe demo image in this annual report - is a technical proposal nothing more at this stage.
On the topic of 'retraction status' in Wikidata, I believe Thomas Shaffe is working on/is interested in this area. It was his suggestion of that possible application that was the inspiration of that piece of the illustration you saw in the report.

- Liam

Sam Walton

Nov 1, 2021, 5:27:08 AM11/1/21
to jschn...@pobox.com, Liam Wyatt, wikicite-discuss
Hi Jodi,

I was working (in my volunteer capacity) on User:RetractionBot for en.wiki (https://github.com/Samwalton9/RetractionBot) a few years ago but I hit a couple of snags and never got around to picking the project back up again.

Best,
Sam
Sam Walton
Product Manager, The Wikipedia Library

Samuel Klein

Nov 1, 2021, 9:32:07 AM11/1/21
to Liam Wyatt, Jason Griffey, Jodi Schneider, wikicite-discuss
Jason Griffey mentioned CORREC the other day, it sounds like a good initiative.

WD could use properties whose value can be 'warning label', 'under reconsideration', 'retracted', or similar, with links to retracted paper / retraction notice / an editor's note / letters or papers on the retraction if available.

Some sort of "retraction propagation bot" (working with the scite.ai APIs?) would be good : make sure retracted works aren't cited, and works that cite them are flagged for review

🌍🌏🌎🌑