Using scite.ai to find reputable sources for wikipedia citations

Josh Nicholson

Jan 6, 2022, 2:22:32 PM1/6/22
to wikicite-discuss
Hello,

My name is Josh Nicholson, and I am the co-founder and CEO of scite (scite.ai). scite is a new tool introducing "Smart Citations" – citations that allow users to see how a scientific paper has been cited by providing the context of the citation and a classification describing whether it provides supporting or contrasting evidence for the cited claim.

We just released something that I think might be helpful for adding citations to Wikipedia and wanted to see what members of the list think.

This new feature allows users to directly search 950M citation statements from over 27M full-text scientific articles, which can be helpful when better trying to understand a specific drug, disease, or any topic. You can even search Peppa pig on it!

You can see a short demo of it here working with our browser extension: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYjCn-4uMJk.

You can try it out here: https://scite.ai/search/citations

I was thinking that we could use our CS search in connection with the Citation hunt tool: https://citationhunt.toolforge.org/en?id=b5a1c7eb

We could embed the search on Citation Hunt (https://scite.ai/embed-citation-search) for individuals to use it to source citations or maybe we could even do it programmatically at scale, although I am sure it works better on some pages than others.

Anyways, would love any feedback or thoughts on this.

Best,
Josh

--

Josh Nicholson, PhD

Chief Executive Officer

510 912 7245

scite.ai

Samuel Klein

Jan 6, 2022, 6:01:50 PM1/6/22
to Josh Nicholson, wikicite-discuss
That could be pretty useful indeed.  (starting to worry about post-birth sanity? :)

1. Could you let users auth using their wiki account, or not auth if arriving via a citationhunt link, so they don't have to log in separately?
2. I'd like a gadget that programmatically runs this and provides an overlay for editors as they read/review WP articles.  Again, preferably using a gadget-specific API so there's no extra login or privacy friction.

Sam

--
Meta: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiCite
Twitter: https://twitter.com/wikicite