What's your opinion on the x264 article?

patrick aljord

May 19, 2010, 7:43:42 PM5/19/10
to WebM Discussion
Hi,

Congrats for the release. I was wondering what your opinion was about
this article written by one of the x264 dev:

http://x264dev.multimedia.cx/?p=377

Cheers,

Pat

LiquidMeson

May 19, 2010, 9:35:56 PM5/19/10
to WebM Discussion
Sounds like he knows his stuff, wouldn't doubt him. The fact that he
wrote so much about it though shows he has interest/hope for it,
despite him picking out the flaws and basically stating it falls just
short of h.264.

LiquidMeson

May 19, 2010, 9:59:08 PM5/19/10
to WebM Discussion
If I understood correctly, here's a summary from the "summary for the
lazy": If bugs are now set in stone, this thing will need a fork. NOW.
- Carlos Solís

yep.

Pascal Massimino

May 20, 2010, 1:13:30 AM5/20/10
to patrick aljord, WebM Discussion
Hi Patrick,

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 4:43 PM, patrick aljord <pat...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Congrats for the release. I was wondering what your opinion was about
this article written by one of the x264 dev:

http://x264dev.multimedia.cx/?p=377

this article is very sound technically when it comes to h264. One wouldn't
expect less coming from Jason. I'd say the VP8 analysis lacks some
non-technical developments to enlighten some of the choices made:
ease of implementation in hardware is one of these. The article also
sometimes mixes remarks about the decoding process (which is normalized)
with the encoding part (which will certainly be refined and enhanced with
time).
On the technical vp8 part, i would mainly point to some weak points:
  * alt-ref frame is not necessarily displayed and does not exactly map
to simply an additional reference.
  * adaptive quantization *is* definitely possible in vp8 (this point was
later corrected in the article)
 * not-adaptive arithmetic coding makes multi-threading encoding
and decoding much easier, for reasonable loss in efficiency.

But overall, good reading!
-skal

Carlos Andrés Solís

May 20, 2010, 8:49:44 AM5/20/10
to webm-d...@webmproject.org

- Carlos Solís

May 20, 2010, 9:04:22 AM5/20/10
to Carlos Andrés Solís, webm-d...@webmproject.org
2010/5/20 Carlos Andrés Solís <cso...@gmail.com>

And about the WebM name, I suggest it to be changed as soon as possible. I mean, if I found about a program named WebM and was asked to categorize it, I'd place it in Internet instead of Multimedia. It also breaks the open-source tradition of naming codecs after people (Theora, Vorbis, Dirac). I'd suggest a few names, like Lumiere (from the brothers that invented some of the first cinematographers) or Gideon (a pun on Google Video). Since WebM's format is based on Matroska, I'd go as far as renaming the files as .mkv manually before having to use this name. Who in the whole world thought it could be a good name for a CODEC?

Webm is not the name of the codec (VP8) but the format.

And speaking of Matroska, is it right that WebM only supports a subset of it? I would like to embed subtitles and extra audio tracks in a WebM/Matroska file, or splitting it in chapters like a DVD. Both tasks can be done in a Matroska file, can they be done in a WebM file?

No you can't put subtitles in Webm files nor chapters. If you want the Matroska features, just use Matroska and not webm. They don't have the same goals, even though it's the same technology.

I'm not sure browsers would even support multiple video or audio tracks. But such files would be ineffecient on the web (the goal/target of webm) so I suggest putting in the specs that only one video and audio track are allowed (ie meant to be played).

Steve

Lachlan Hunt

May 20, 2010, 9:56:08 AM5/20/10
On 2010-05-20 14:49, Carlos Andrés Solís wrote:
> Since WebM's format is based on Matroska, I'd go as far as renaming the files as
> .mkv manually before having to use this name.

I'm not sure if you know this already or not, but I'm sure there are
people in here anyway who don't. You can't just change the file
extension and suddenly call it a Matroska file. It's still WebM
internally, even though WebM is based on Matroska.

The main difference is the DocType. If you change the DocType inside
the file from "webm" to "matroska", as long as you edit the EBML
properly, then you will make a valid Matroska file. The easiest way to
do this is with mkclean, which will reumx it for you.

$ mkclean --doctype 2 input.webm output.mkv

The reverse, however, only works properly if the mkv only contains VP8
and Vorbis.

> And speaking of Matroska, is it right that WebM only supports a subset of
> it? I would like to embed subtitles and extra audio tracks in a
> WebM/Matroska file, or splitting it in chapters like a DVD. Both tasks can
> be done in a Matroska file, can they be done in a WebM file?

Support for captions, subtitles and chapters is in the proposed <track>
element for HTML5. WebSRT is the current proposal, still under
development, for subtitles and captions, and it's likely that once this
format is agreed upon, WebM will be updated to permit its use too.

I'm not so sure about chapters though. There's currently no format
mentioned in HTML5 for chapter tracks, though my guess is that if
support for chapters lands in the future, we'll end up supporting the
same format as Matroska already does.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/

Silvia Pfeiffer

May 20, 2010, 6:09:25 PM5/20/10
to Lachlan Hunt, Carlos Andrés Solís, webm-d...@webmproject.org
2010/5/20 Lachlan Hunt <lachla...@lachy.id.au>:
Chapter tracks are also envisioned for HTML5 and indeed mentioned wrt
the current <track> proposal, see
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/video.html#the-track-element
.

The creation of chapter tracks can be supported in exactly the same
way as captions - doesn't need a new format.

We still have to make some demos with the new WebSRT format to explain
how these things are meant to work. :-) It's indeed work in progress.

Cheers,
Silvia.

tony.tang

May 27, 2010, 11:45:39 AM5/27/10
to WebM Discussion
about vp8 not-adaptive arithmetic coding efficiency ,specifically for
coefficient encoding ,
H264's significant_coeff_flag coding and level coding , the
adaptibility looks weakly ,and choose level==14 as the critical value
for use EG0 coding

while VP8 use block local adaptibility (brand segement and local
complexity),and choose level==4 as critical value for directly token
encoding ,the designer should
do many statistics analysis for level distribution and choose the
threshold

In my opinion,we can't verdict h264 is efficient than vp8 in the
coefficient encoding part .

there need some test to verify

--tony.tang