intellectual curiosity : why using matroska rather than ogg ?

antistress

May 27, 2010, 9:32:56 AM5/27/10
to WebM Discussion
Thank you very much for WebM

I was wandering why you've decided to use matroska rather than ogg
since both were possible i think ?

(Just out of curiosity)

Alex Converse

May 27, 2010, 9:59:40 AM5/27/10
to antistress, WebM Discussion
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 9:32 AM, antistress <thibaut...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you very much for WebM
>
> I was wandering why you've decided to use matroska rather than ogg
> since both were possible i think ?

Because then it would be webo?

Jesaja Everling

May 27, 2010, 10:49:25 AM5/27/10
to WebM Discussion
I hope the reason is not because it has better DRM support...

"Encryption in Matroska is designed in a very generic style that
allows people to implement whatever form of encryption is best for
them. It is easily possible to use the encryption framework in
Matroska as a type of DRM."
http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/notes.html#Encryption

But maybe I'm just paranoid! ;)

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Alex Converse <alex.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 9:32 AM, antistress <thibaut...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Thank you very much for WebM
>>
>> I was wandering why you've decided to use matroska rather than ogg
>> since both were possible i think ?

Luca Barbato

May 27, 2010, 11:33:34 AM5/27/10
to WebM Discussion
That part doesn't seem into the subset webm supports...

I think that they picked mkv since it has a better community support
since there isn't as
much friction as with ogg.

Many might not agree with the analysis[1] that deem ogg a problematic
container but
as many other do.

My experience with ogg had been less than stellar so I tend to agree
with Mans.

lu

[1] http://hardwarebug.org/2010/03/03/ogg-objections/

On May 27, 4:49 pm, Jesaja Everling <jeverl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I hope the reason is not because it has better DRM support...
>
> "Encryption in Matroska is designed in a very generic style that
> allows people to implement whatever form of encryption is best for
> them. It is easily possible to use the encryption framework in
> Matroska as a type of DRM."http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/notes.html#Encryption
>
> But maybe I'm just paranoid! ;)

antistress

May 28, 2010, 10:45:17 AM5/28/10