Playing WebM files with an invalid stream

Chris Pearce

Oct 13, 2010, 7:03:53 PM10/13/10
to WebM Discussion
What should he behaviour be in a WebM player when it encounters a
media with one of its streams invalid? For example if the Vorbis stream
is invalid, should the player just play the VP8 stream? Or should it
refuse to play the file completely?

I note that Chrome and Opera reject the file completely, I'm considering
how to handle this case in Firefox4...

Maybe http://www.webmproject.org/code/specs/container/ should include a
note to say how to handle this case?

Thanks,
Chris Pearce.

Steve Lhomme

Oct 14, 2010, 2:22:18 PM10/14/10
to webm-discuss
What do you call invalid ? A mismatching codec or the stream has errors inside ?

Steve

Chris Pearce

Oct 14, 2010, 2:53:44 PM10/14/10
to webm-d...@webmproject.org
15/10/2010 7:22 a.m., Steve Lhomme wrote:
> What do you call invalid ? A mismatching codec or the stream has errors inside ?

The stream has errors inside. For example, a WebM file with the Vorbis
codebooks invalid, but the VP8 stream has no errors.

Chris P.