WebM video chat with HTML5?

Danny Piccirillo

Jun 22, 2010, 4:15:22 AM6/22/10
to WebM Discussion
I was wondering if it would be possible to set up a chatroulette/
tinychat clone using only free web standards HTML5 and WebM/VP8. This
would require mic and webcam access somehow. If anyone knows how to do
that portion, someone on identi.ca has said they can code the HTML and
CSS of such a site. http://identi.ca/conversation/36057143#notice-37407935

Could a Jabber/XMPP plugin be used to access the webcam/mic? If not,
does anybody know how else this would be possible?

If so, there's a bug on launchpad to have WebM be the default format
for a number of applications including those for video chat and the
main issue preventing them was a lack RTP or SDP support currently.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/593477

Is that being worked on?

Danny Piccirillo

Jun 24, 2010, 10:24:43 AM6/24/10
to WebM Discussion
I just wanted to follow up on this in case anybody else was interested
and lurking. These are the drafts for HTML which would enable such a
site:

http://dev.w3.org/html5/html-device/#devices
http://dev.w3.org/html5/html-device/#stream

Hopefully they won't take too long to be semi-finalized, gain some
browser support, and be implemented in some awesome tinychat,
chatroulette, etc clones

--
.danny

☮♥Ⓐ - http://www.google.com/profiles/danny.piccirillo