Issue 550 in webp: Support for IPTC metadata for webp?

barce… via monorail

Jan 10, 2022, 9:10:18 PMJan 10
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 550 by barce...@gmail.com: Support for IPTC metadata for webp?
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=550

when converting from jpg to webp, XMP and exif metadata is lost.

cwebp -q 80 -metadata all "A0000-01.jpg" -o "A0000-01.webp"

When I convert an image using this webtool https://image.online-convert.com/convert-to-webp XMP and EXIF metadata is transferred.

I believe this issue is covered by https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=166

Are there any long term plans to support IPTC tags in webp?
https://developers.google.com/search/docs/advanced/appearance/image-rights-metadata

1. The project was configured to send all issue notifications to this address

https://bugs.chromium.org/hosting/settings

jz… via monorail

Jan 10, 2022, 9:54:59 PMJan 10
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #1 on issue 550 by jz...@google.com: Support for IPTC metadata for webp?
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=550#c1

Thanks for the report.

> when converting from jpg to webp, XMP and exif metadata is lost.

https://crbug.com/webp/166 deals with an imbalance between the library based (libpng, libjpeg, etc) and native windows importer (WIC = Windows Image Component). You can try the -nowic binaries [1] as a workaround.

For the question in the subject we never defined an IPTC chunk for the format [2] -- I don't remember if there was a reason or it was just an oversight --, but it could be added to a file as the chunks are extensible. This would require some custom file manipulation currently as webpmux doesn't support adding arbitrary chunks to a file [3].

[1] https://storage.googleapis.com/downloads.webmproject.org/releases/webp/libwebp-1.2.1-windows-x64-no-wic.zip
[2] https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/docs/riff_container#metadata
[3] https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=520#c7

pasca… via monorail

Jan 11, 2022, 2:58:42 AMJan 11
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Updates:

Comment #2 on issue 550 by pasca...@gmail.com: Support for IPTC metadata for webp?
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=550#c2

IPTC was not really widespread at the time the chunks were defined.
Moreover, it's been recommended[1] since to embed IPTC data into XMP instead of using the separate IPTC metadata format, which is loosely supported.

I guess XMP is the way to go for IPTC info.

[1]e.g: https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003412157-XMP-and-IPTC

barce… via monorail

Jan 11, 2022, 2:56:35 PMJan 11
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #3 on issue 550 by barce...@gmail.com: Support for IPTC metadata for webp?
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=550#c3

[1] https://storage.googleapis.com/downloads.webmproject.org/releases/webp/libwebp-1.2.1-windows-x64-no-wic.zip
Thanks, this works perfectly writing XMP and EXIF to webp conversion. I am using Gimp to check the conversion metadata.
I do not consider myself competent enough to write a custom RIFF container for IPTC metadata in a webp file.
I have decided to put my IPTC metadata within XMP tags for the moment.
maybe one day IPTC will be standardised for webp.