Issue 564 in webp: Converted webp to jpg and encounter display issue.

qq83… via monorail

Mar 30, 2022, 6:56:58 AM3/30/22
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 564 by qq83...@gmail.com: Converted webp to jpg and encounter display issue.
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=564

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Saved an image as .jpg, but it actually was .webp format.
2. It was successfully saved as .jpg.
3. when I uploaded this .jpg to my project (it only can have jpg, jpeg, png), the frontend didn’t catch this image, and it showed the default image instead.

I expected to see the converted image, but I saw my default image, which is set to only display when no image was uploaded.

Using Edge 99.0.1150.36 on Win10

1. The project was configured to send all issue notifications to this address

https://bugs.chromium.org/hosting/settings

ygu… via monorail

Mar 30, 2022, 8:32:05 AM3/30/22
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #1 on issue 564 by ygu...@google.com: Converted webp to jpg and encounter display issue.
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=564#c1

Thanks for your report. The image you saved as a .jpg was probably a WebP image requested through a URL ending with ".jpg". Content Delivery Networks use this pattern to seamlessly send the best image format depending on the browser capabilities. If possible, I suggest allowing WebP file inputs into your project.

For example, this article [1] describes what is going on with this image [2]. Using a recent version of Chrome, I get an AVIF image [3]. Using Edge, I would assume a WebP is delivered [4]. Both of this use cases work with the same URL, here ending with ".JPG". Depending on the browser and the context, the file extension might be changed to match the actual image format upon saving it, or kept as written in the URL.

[1] https://cloudinary.com/blog/transparent_webp_format_cdn_delivery_based_on_visitors_browsers
[2] https://res.cloudinary.com/demo/image/fetch/w_160,h_160,c_fill,e_fill_light:0,r_30,f_auto/
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/13/Usain_Bolt_16082009_Berlin.JPG
[3] https://caniuse.com/avif
[4] https://caniuse.com/webp

jz… via monorail

Mar 31, 2022, 4:06:34 PM3/31/22
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Updates:

Comment #2 on issue 564 by jz...@google.com: Converted webp to jpg and encounter display issue.
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=564#c2

Thanks for adding some relevant information Yannis. I'm going to close this as it's not an issue with libwebp.