Issue 560 in webp: Animation not Working on Mobile

marac… via monorail

Feb 28, 2022, 3:01:48 PM2/28/22
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 560 by marac...@gmail.com: Animation not Working on Mobile
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=560

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Run the following Python script to generate a WebP animation based on the pictures:
import glob, webp

from PIL import Image
def make_webp(frame_folder):
frames = [Image.open(image) for image in glob.glob(f"{frame_folder}/*.JPG")]
webp.save_images(frames, 'test4.webp', fps=0.75, lossless=True)

if __name__ == "__main__":
make_webp("path/to/image/folder")

2.Upload the WebP file and try accessing it from a mobile browser.

The expected output is for the animation to run just like on desktop browsers, instead it stays static. Same applies to the latest Google Photos and Google Drive versions.

I used Chrome 98.0.4758.101, on AndroidOne 11

Attachments:
IMG_20210801_205900.jpg 3.3 MB
IMG_20210801_210436.jpg 3.1 MB
IMG_20210801_210953.jpg 3.4 MB
IMG_20210801_211226.jpg 3.3 MB
IMG_20210801_211445.jpg 2.6 MB
IMG_20210801_211836.jpg 3.3 MB
IMG_20210801_212036.jpg 2.1 MB
IMG_20210801_212154.jpg 3.0 MB

1. The project was configured to send all issue notifications to this address

https://bugs.chromium.org/hosting/settings

jz… via monorail

Jun 16, 2022, 5:20:45 PM6/16/22
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Updates:

Comment #1 on issue 560 by jz...@google.com: Animation not Working on Mobile
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=560#c1

Sorry for the slow reply. In Chrome 102 the animation [1] works for me on desktop and Android.

In drive on desktop the full size image works. Previews in drive on web and in the app seem to use a still image. I thought the restriction might be size related so I resized this to 256x192. At that resolution in the drive app the thumbnail will work, but clicking through to the preview is still shown as a still image.

If you're still seeing an issue in chrome it would be better to file something at https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium. For other products it would be helpful if you could file feedback either on the site or in the app. Looking quickly I don't see any related issues. I'll see if we can follow up with the teams.

I'm going to close this as it's not related to an issue in libwebp. Thank you for bringing it to our notice, though.

[1] https://storage.googleapis.com/downloads.webmproject.org/tmp/crbug-webp-560/test4-crbug-webp-560.webp

jz… via monorail

Jun 16, 2022, 5:29:05 PM6/16/22
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #2 on issue 560 by jz...@google.com: Animation not Working on Mobile
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=560#c2

I filed a bug internally against drive referencing this bug.