Re: Terminal screenshot behaving very strange

Jyrki Alakuijala

Feb 24, 2023, 6:17:55 AM2/24/23
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Lossless coding tries to find exact repetitions from elsewhere in the picture, lossy doesn't. When there are lots of exact similarities, lossless can be more effective.

Lossless may also be more effective reproducing some pixel graphics images.

There is also a -near_lossless mode in the webp command line tools (cwebp) that often allows for minor loss to be done within the benefits of pixel-based coding. The squoosh app seems to call the near_lossless mode 'Slight loss:', the option appearing when you have already chosen the lossless mode. I recommend using the value 40.

On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 6:14 PM Digital Community Hub <gede...@gmail.com> wrote:
I took a screenshot of the terminal as a PNG and pasted it into squaosh. In lossless mode, the file size was smaller than in lossy mode. How is this possible? The situation is the same in other converters. All other screenshots work fine, except terminal screenshots. Magic