Issue 604 in webp: Strange behavior of terminal screenshots

57 visualizzazioni
Passa al primo messaggio da leggere

gedeo… via monorail

da leggere,
23 feb 2023, 12:28:0623/02/23
a webp-d...@webmproject.org
Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 604 by gedeo...@gmail.com: Strange behavior of terminal screenshots
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=604

I created a screenshot of the Windows terminal in PNG format and added it to squoosh.app to convert to WebP in lossless mode.

The output file in the "lossless" mode had a larger size than in the lossy mode.

I repeated this action using a simple desktop screenshot and everything went as expected.

After that, I took a screenshot of another Windows terminal again, and again the output file in "lossless" mode had a larger size than in lossy mode.

As a result, any screenshot other than the terminal screenshot behaves as expected. This situation is reproduced not only in squoosh.app, but also in the XnView application. Magic.

1. The project was configured to send all issue notifications to this address

https://bugs.chromium.org/hosting/settings

gedeo… via monorail

da leggere,
23 feb 2023, 12:29:3223/02/23
a webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #1 on issue 604 by gedeo...@gmail.com: Strange behavior of terminal screenshots
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=604#c1

Attachments:
png-to-webp-lossless.png 1.3 MB
png-to-webp-lossy.png 559 KB

gedeo… via monorail

da leggere,
23 feb 2023, 12:31:1523/02/23
a webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #2 on issue 604 by gedeo...@gmail.com: Strange behavior of terminal screenshots
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=604#c2

Attachments:
png-to-webp-lossless.png 351 KB

jz… via monorail

da leggere,
23 feb 2023, 15:00:4723/02/23
a webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #3 on issue 604 by jz...@google.com: Strange behavior of terminal screenshots
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=604#c3

Thanks for the report. Lossless has different techniques than lossy (palette mode being one that might help here) and isn't limited to block based encoding [1][2]. So some content like this, as well as computer generated content (icons, etc) may compress better with lossless than lossy at a high or medium quality setting.

If you try the same encodes with cwebp it will output the tools used for lossless, which might give a hint.

[1] https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/docs/compression
[2] https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/docs/webp_lossless_bitstream_specification

jz… via monorail

da leggere,
24 feb 2023, 15:32:0824/02/23
a webp-d...@webmproject.org
Updates:

Comment #4 on issue 604 by jz...@google.com: Strange behavior of terminal screenshots
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=604#c4

I'm going to mark this as invalid based on the comment above and the additional commentary on the mailing list [1]. If you have a sample image you'd like to attach we can verify what tools are being used with the image.

[1] https://groups.google.com/a/webmproject.org/g/webp-discuss/c/ppzuzKnWICc/m/wDxqGbsjDQAJ
Rispondi a tutti
Rispondi all'autore
Inoltra