Issue 501 in webp: Linux build instructions could use more details

kbrou… via monorail

Feb 1, 2021, 4:52:42 PM2/1/21
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 501 by kbrou...@gmail.com: Linux build instructions could use more details
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=501

What steps will reproduce the problem?

Referring to: https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/docs/compiling

The build instructions merely say "./configure" without explaining options or variations.

For instance, I wanted to build gif2webp which apparently requires:

./configure --enable-libwebpmux

which is quite un-intuitive.

Also the page has not been updated to webp 1.2.0

libwebp 1.2.0
Linux Mint 20.1

1. The project was configured to send all issue notifications to this address

https://bugs.chromium.org/hosting/settings

jz… via monorail

Feb 3, 2021, 10:53:43 PM2/3/21
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Updates:

Comment #1 on issue 501 by jz...@google.com: Linux build instructions could use more details
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=501#c1

Thanks for the report and suggestion. The page didn't really evolve as we added new libraries and examples along the way.

> Also the page has not been updated to webp 1.2.0

This might have just been a timing issue with the sync. The page should be up to date now.

Git Watcher via monorail

Jul 8, 2021, 1:36:08 AM7/8/21
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #3 on issue 501 by Git Watcher: Linux build instructions could use more details
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=501#c3

The following revision refers to this bug:
https://chromium.googlesource.com/webm/libwebp/+/f70819de51fa4709df2073a2b0d50445be1a150d

commit f70819de51fa4709df2073a2b0d50445be1a150d
Author: James Zern <jz...@google.com>
Date: Sat Jul 03 22:53:17 2021

configure: enable libwebpmux by default

this will provide the main libraries and their supporting examples by
default if external library requirements (e.g., gif2webp+libgif) are
met.

Bug: webp:501
Change-Id: I593adf9222698e2dc5a2199909949c7fea1273b2

[modify] https://crrev.com/f70819de51fa4709df2073a2b0d50445be1a150d/configure.ac

Git Watcher via monorail

Jul 8, 2021, 1:36:14 AM7/8/21
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #4 on issue 501 by Git Watcher: Linux build instructions could use more details
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=501#c4

The following revision refers to this bug:
https://chromium.googlesource.com/webm/libwebp/+/dc7e2b42e75a6256700938bff5a9eeb2cf44734e

commit dc7e2b42e75a6256700938bff5a9eeb2cf44734e
Author: James Zern <jz...@google.com>
Date: Sat Jul 03 22:51:23 2021

configure: add informational notices when disabling binaries

this better documents the requirements for some of the examples.

Bug: webp:501
Change-Id: If20675e71ebf2c1d9bb51d65a05fd4e9f339ac5a

[modify] https://crrev.com/dc7e2b42e75a6256700938bff5a9eeb2cf44734e/configure.ac

Git Watcher via monorail

Jul 8, 2021, 1:36:21 AM7/8/21
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #5 on issue 501 by Git Watcher: Linux build instructions could use more details
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=501#c5

The following revision refers to this bug:
https://chromium.googlesource.com/webm/libwebp/+/9df23dddc2bc2260337021a8e7501a5ec46fdabc

commit 9df23dddc2bc2260337021a8e7501a5ec46fdabc
Author: James Zern <jz...@google.com>
Date: Sat Jul 03 22:37:48 2021

configure: move lib flag checks before binaries

this ensures the defaults are set properly before testing conditions for
enabling certain binaries. previously anim_diff would need
--enable-libwebpdemux to be explicitly added though it defaults to
enabled.

Bug: webp:501
Change-Id: Ifac68eac7096b39e98d0025e07a37b0be3d32c0a

[modify] https://crrev.com/9df23dddc2bc2260337021a8e7501a5ec46fdabc/configure.ac

jz… via monorail

Jul 8, 2021, 4:35:49 PM7/8/21
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Updates:

Comment #6 on issue 501 by jz...@google.com: Linux build instructions could use more details
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=501#c6

Thanks again for the report. I added some more informational messages to the configure output, enabled libwebpmux by default and updated the compiling page to have a little more instruction on how to find more detail to hopefully reduce some of the confusion.