Security Issue in Webptools latest

Sebastian C.

Oct 19, 2023, 5:01:47 AM10/19/23
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Hello, how are you?

I found that Webptools on PyPI uses libwebp version 1.1.0

A 0-day exploited-in-the-wild vulnerability on Chrome browser was disclosed some weeks ago. But it was a bit worse than that. The original vulnerability was on the underlying library libwebp, which provides encoding and decoding of images in WebP format. Specifically, it is a heap buffer overflow issue within the Huffman coding algorithm used for lossless compression in WebP.
That means: by crafting malicious WebP images and getting victims to open them, attackers could leverage this bug to execute arbitrary code and access sensitive user data. A RCE.
This was assigned CVE-2023-4863. The vulnerability has CRITICAL severity and has been reported to be actively exploited in the wild. You may read more about it here: https://www.rezilion.com/blog/rezilion-researchers-uncover-new-details-on-severity-of-google-chrome-zero-day-vulnerability-cve-2023-4863

Long story short, versions of libwep before 1.3.2 are vulnerable, and Webptools may be exposing users through its functionality.

Please confirm and let me know if I can be of help in the patching process
Sebastian Chnelik

Vincent Rabaud

Oct 19, 2023, 5:49:51 AM10/19/23
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Hi,

all affected branches (from 0.5 to 1.3) have been patched. Even the 1.1.0 one: https://chromium.googlesource.com/webm/libwebp/+/refs/heads/1.1.0
Bumping to the latest version is ideal though as it has a few improvements (performance or compilation).

James Zern

Oct 19, 2023, 2:01:19 PM10/19/23
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

On Thu, Oct 19, 2023 at 11:01 AM Sebastian C. <seba...@safetycli.com> wrote:
Hello, how are you?

I found that Webptools on PyPI uses libwebp version 1.1.0

Note this project doesn't maintain the package. It would be good to file an issue in their tracker: