WebP Animation not Working on Mobile

Maracunator

Feb 27, 2022, 4:00:57 PM2/27/22
to WebP Discussion
I was experimenting with the image format by making an animated WebP file out of 8 pictures I took with my phone camera with a small Python script. Admittedly it is a large file (95.8MB), as I wanted to keep the full resolution of the original pictures.

It does display correctly on desktop browsers both from local and from Google Photos, but when I try opening it on any mobile browser or with the Google Photos app it remains static on the first frame.

I do not know if the issue is the size of the image or maybe I did something wrong when generating the WebP file, here is the script I used to make the file:

import glob, webp

from PIL import Image
def make_webp(frame_folder):
    frames = [Image.open(image) for image in glob.glob(f"{frame_folder}/*.JPG")]
    webp.save_images(frames, 'test4.webp', fps=0.75, lossless=True)

if __name__ == "__main__":
    make_webp("path/to/image/folder")

Vincent Rabaud

Feb 28, 2022, 11:13:15 AM2/28/22
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Hi,

Can you please create a bug and join your animation/original files so that we can try it out ?
Also, what is your chrome/Android version ?
Thank you.

James Zern

Feb 28, 2022, 2:33:29 PM2/28/22
to WebP Discussion

On Sun, Feb 27, 2022 at 10:01 PM Maracunator <marac...@gmail.com> wrote:
I was experimenting with the image format by making an animated WebP file out of 8 pictures I took with my phone camera with a small Python script. Admittedly it is a large file (95.8MB), as I wanted to keep the full resolution of the original pictures.

It does display correctly on desktop browsers both from local and from Google Photos, but when I try opening it on any mobile browser or with the Google Photos app it remains static on the first frame.

There may be some resolution / memory limits, I'd need to look around to refresh my memory. There is an overall size limit (128MB), but that's not platform specific:

I do not know if the issue is the size of the image or maybe I did something wrong when generating the WebP file, here is the script I used to make the file:

What's the resolution of the image? Can you try scaling to something small to check the behavior?

import glob, webp

from PIL import Image
def make_webp(frame_folder):
    frames = [Image.open(image) for image in glob.glob(f"{frame_folder}/*.JPG")]
    webp.save_images(frames, 'test4.webp', fps=0.75, lossless=True)

if __name__ == "__main__":
    make_webp("path/to/image/folder")

Maracunator

Feb 28, 2022, 3:02:30 PM2/28/22
to WebP Discussion, Vincent Rabaud
Hello,

I have submitted the bug report. My Chrome and AndroidOne versions are 98 and 11 respectively.

Thanks.

Maracunator

Feb 28, 2022, 3:05:42 PM2/28/22
to WebP Discussion, James Zern
Hello,

The image resolution of the image is 4640 x 3488px, which is also the resolution of the phone's camera. I will try making a smaller resolution version and see if that one behaves correctly

Thanks.