libwebp ported to OpenVMS how to contribute to source tree

alexey chupahin

Mar 3, 2023, 9:59:40 AM3/3/23
to WebP Discussion
Hello all,
I've ported libwebp with utilites to OpenVMS system,
 no any source file has been patched manually,
I make build scripts that do all patch needed and compile, they placed at the new VMS directory. No other files touch.
how do I contribute my VMS directory with scripts into libwebp project ?

Pascal Massimino

Mar 3, 2023, 6:36:11 PM3/3/23
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Hi,

On Fri, Mar 3, 2023 at 6:59 AM alexey chupahin <alexeyc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello all,
I've ported libwebp with utilites to OpenVMS system,

OpenVMS being an OS, was there anything special that needed to be changed in the code?
Anything beside having the proper toolchain for compiling?
If you have any pointers to your scripts, that would be helpful to assess how intrusive is the
port. The ideal would be a special config in the CMake setup.

skal/

 no any source file has been patched manually,
I make build scripts that do all patch needed and compile, they placed at the new VMS directory. No other files touch.
how do I contribute my VMS directory with scripts into libwebp project ?

alexey chupahin

Mar 4, 2023, 9:31:57 AM3/4/23
to WebP Discussion, Pascal Massimino
Hi, Pascal,
thank you for answer very much

fortunately, nothing needs to be  edited for code logic, it is perfectly,portable written. No any #ifdef in C code needed.  Patches concern the mechanism of includes (OpenVMS has different include logic mechanism) and the name of some functions, impossible in VMS. Its not needed to #if,
its can be patched automatically perfectly.Plus its own config.h to be generated by configure.com procedure.
Unfortunately, no CMAKE is possible.
OpenVMS has own command language and toolset.  So its own configure.com script should be written. Its normal practice. Lot of free software has been ported to VMS has own configure or build procedure, such as openssl for example, bzip2, gzip and so on. In that sources various #ifdef VMS needed to make proper compilation. I also ported a lot of software to OpenVMS yet. But for libwebp, only couple special vms configuration scripts is needed.  I can send it for you to look. Of course I can *support* this port if any.

суббота, 4 марта 2023 г. в 02:36:11 UTC+3, Pascal Massimino:

James Zern

Mar 8, 2023, 6:59:47 PM3/8/23
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
On Sat, Mar 4, 2023 at 6:32 AM alexey chupahin <alexeyc...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

As mentioned off-thread, if you'd like to contribute the patches we'd be happy to take a look. To get started, take a look at CONTRIBUTING.md:
https://chromium.googlesource.com/webm/libwebp/+/d64e6d7d9d1e91d99e07de5e17afa0134d87f4ab/CONTRIBUTING.md

суббота, 4 марта 2023 г. в 02:36:11 UTC+3, Pascal Massimino:
Hi,

On Fri, Mar 3, 2023 at 6:59 AM alexey chupahin <alexeyc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello all,
I've ported libwebp with utilites to OpenVMS system,

OpenVMS being an OS, was there anything special that needed to be changed in the code?
Anything beside having the proper toolchain for compiling?
If you have any pointers to your scripts, that would be helpful to assess how intrusive is the
port. The ideal would be a special config in the CMake setup.

skal/

 no any source file has been patched manually,
I make build scripts that do all patch needed and compile, they placed at the new VMS directory. No other files touch.
how do I contribute my VMS directory with scripts into libwebp project ?

alexey chupahin

Mar 9, 2023, 2:12:42 AM3/9/23
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Thank you for your answer.
I've look this page yet, but it contains nothing practical information.  Procedure seems to be not clean much, i don't understand. . Is anywhere step by step information? I've registered in Google.  Cloned project by git. Create new subdirectory.  What is my next step?

чт, 9 мар. 2023 г., 02:59 'James Zern' via WebP Discussion <webp-d...@webmproject.org>:
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "WebP Discussion" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/webmproject.org/d/msgid/webp-discuss/CABWgkXL6ye1m-d_DurU76zH16Fjexot1qAheCmm-ddC75iki0Q%40mail.gmail.com.

alexey chupahin

Mar 9, 2023, 2:49:51 AM3/9/23
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
more exactly,
I've registered here

but next
here I see one:
some steps
I see something much different
and if I see here
I see something third.

SO what should I do??

чт, 9 мар. 2023 г. в 02:59, 'James Zern' via WebP Discussion <webp-d...@webmproject.org>:
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "WebP Discussion" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/webmproject.org/d/msgid/webp-discuss/CABWgkXL6ye1m-d_DurU76zH16Fjexot1qAheCmm-ddC75iki0Q%40mail.gmail.com.

James Zern

Mar 9, 2023, 2:33:53 PM3/9/23
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
On Wed, Mar 8, 2023 at 11:49 PM alexey chupahin <alexeyc...@gmail.com> wrote:

This one's for chrome and contains some extra steps that aren't necessary for this repo. depot_tools can be used (git cl upload, etc), but you can use git directly.

A part from the webmproject documentation, the gerrit docs describe the normal workflow here:

After cloning it amounts to:
$ git checkout -b my-feature-branch
# make edits
$ git commit -a
$ git push https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/webm/libwebp my-feature-branch:refs/for/main
# respond to comments, make further edits
$ git commit -a --amend
$ git push ...

alexey chupahin

Mar 10, 2023, 6:45:09 AM3/10/23
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Thank you very much, I will try :)

$git checkout -b my-feature-branch

my-feature-branch - It should be substituted with my branch name like "webp-vms" ?

James Zern

Mar 11, 2023, 1:05:39 AM3/11/23
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
On Fri, Mar 10, 2023 at 3:45 AM alexey chupahin <alexeyc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you very much, I will try :)

$git checkout -b my-feature-branch

my-feature-branch - It should be substituted with my branch name like "webp-vms" ?

That's right, the name can be whatever you'd like; it's only used locally. It's generally good practice to commit to a branch while working through a review so you don't unintentionally cause your main branch to diverge due to a merge when doing git pull for example.