WebP encode and decode performance compared to JPEG and PNG

Shogo Sensui

Aug 20, 2017, 2:50:43 AM8/20/17
to WebP Discussion
WebP's slower performance about encode and decode compared to other image formats
was mentioned on a session some years ago. How about this for now?

As the study implicated improvements on encoding and decoding,
don't we need to care about WebP (en|de)coding cost and performance?

Jai Krishnan

Aug 20, 2017, 3:11:22 AM8/20/17
to WebP Discussion
Hi Shogo,

WebP lossy encode and decode have certainly improved since a few years ago.
Pascal shared some information (and a script / tool for you to try yourself) about speed improvements in decode earlier this year. We'll look and see if there's additional data we can share publicly either as a study on the site or emailed to the list.

Thanks,
Jai

Vincent Rabaud

Aug 21, 2017, 12:05:11 PM8/21/17
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Hi Shogo,

you are totally right: a good codec is about finding the right trade-off between many factors: not only compression ratio but also (en|de)coding speed, RAM, features, support ...

As you noticed, I recently updated the lossless study to reflect the improvements made in the past 5 years in lossless compression speed and ratio. Those happened continuously over time and were algorithmic improvements, C improvements, platform tuning (like SSE and NEON) and specialization for certain kinds of images (binary, low number of colors ...).

As Jai mentioned, it's not always easy to provide clear benchmarks and datasets, especially with the growing list of JPEG/PNG encoders. That's why we also release tools to see how WebP is being used (like https://github.com/webmproject/webp-highlighter) and make sure it is easily usable with the latest needs in image compression (e.g. for Android APK generation as detailed in https://developer.android.com/studio/write/convert-webp.html).