Losses Merging

Nahum Nir

Aug 14, 2022, 4:58:21 PM8/14/22
to WebP Discussion
Hello,
This is our use case: We have a couple of images in webp format and we need to merge them into a single image file without reducing the quality each of the images. A simple example is to concatenate two files into one.
Is there a tool for that or do we need to write one?

Thanks,
Nahum

James Zern

Aug 15, 2022, 4:55:12 PM8/15/22
to WebP Discussion
Hi,

The webpmux tool [1] can be used to manipulate webp files. It can be used to create an animation from multiple webp files.

In your example it's not clear what you mean by concatenate though. Do you want a still image with both images contained within it (e.g., one above and one below)? An animated webp can somewhat provide this, but the duration between two frames has a minimum. Otherwise to create a single frame you would need to reencode the images.

Thanks,
Nahum

Nahum Nir

Aug 17, 2022, 3:34:03 PM8/17/22
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Thanks James,

We need it to be a still image. One above the other or to the right. I also made a mistake in the subject. It should be lossless.

Nahum

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "WebP Discussion" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/webmproject.org/d/msgid/webp-discuss/CABWgkX%2BdNhp5isQDBMCBD9_A3SZAs344JLyL07Tk-xTRxN_0Kg%40mail.gmail.com.

James Zern

Aug 17, 2022, 5:05:50 PM8/17/22
to WebP Discussion
On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 12:34 PM Nahum Nir <hello.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks James,

We need it to be a still image. One above the other or to the right. I also made a mistake in the subject. It should be lossless.

In this case you'll need to decode the images separately and encode the composite. The webp library and tools don't support this operation, but tools like ImageMagick (+append) should be able to.