WebP MIME type and file extension

boardhead

Oct 5, 2010, 12:04:28 PM10/5/10
to WebP Discussion
What are the recommended WebP MIME type and file extensions?

Also, are there any WebP samples available anywhere (I'm not
interested in the PNG versions).

TIA

- Phil

boardhead

Oct 5, 2010, 1:43:06 PM10/5/10
to WebP Discussion
Well, Wikipedia says:

Filename extension: .webp

Internet media type: image/webp

So I'll go with these.

But I still haven't found any samples.

Richard Rabbat

Oct 5, 2010, 1:46:19 PM10/5/10
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
you can just create some :)

Use webpconv to convert some of your png's and jpeg's into .webp et voila

for the mime type, we need to get an assignment from IANA

Richard.

Richard Rabbat | Product Manager | Google, Inc.
E: rab...@google.com | M: +1-650-714-7618 | Google Voice: +1-617-213-0819

d...@prismskylabs.com

Apr 17, 2014, 4:16:20 PM4/17/14
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
webp is still not listed on the iana site: http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/media-types.xhtml

is anyone submitting this?

jwr...@ecstuning.com

Joakim Erdfelt

Jul 27, 2021, 1:02:04 PM7/27/21
to WebP Discussion
It's 2021, still no image/webp registered on IANA.

To see more support for this format from server software vendors out of the box, please register the mime-type properly.

- Joakim

James Zern

Jul 27, 2021, 10:48:36 PM7/27/21
to WebP Discussion
Hi,

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 10:02 AM Joakim Erdfelt <joakim....@gmail.com> wrote:
It's 2021, still no image/webp registered on IANA.

To see more support for this format from server software vendors out of the box, please register the mime-type properly.

We have a tracking bug for this [1] and it was part of the latest IETF Dispatch discussion [2]. There were some questions about the presence / availability of a format specification and what the proper processing path for this would be. IANA recommended we go this route after the initial request to add the format there.

- Joakim