Issue 523 in webp: Animated WebP presents blocking artifacts

perse… via monorail

Jun 3, 2021, 6:25:06 PM6/3/21
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 523 by perse...@gmail.com: Animated WebP presents blocking artifacts
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=523

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. img2webp -d 40 -lossy -o image-out.webp -q 90 image-in-*.webp
2. vwebp image-out.webp

The image-out.webp has a lot of blocking artifacts.

OS: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia x86_64
Base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
Kernel: 5.4.0-54-generic
Shell: bash 4.4.20

img2webp -version
WebP Encoder version: 1.2.0
WebP Mux version: 1.2.0

Attachments:
webp-issue-input-files.zip 4.7 MB
image-out.webp 4.4 MB

1. The project was configured to send all issue notifications to this address

https://bugs.chromium.org/hosting/settings

jz… via monorail

Jun 15, 2021, 9:30:56 PM6/15/21
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Updates:
Owner: pasca...@gmail.com

Comment #1 on issue 523 by jz...@google.com: Animated WebP presents blocking artifacts
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=523#c1

pasca… via monorail

Jun 17, 2021, 8:38:20 AM6/17/21
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #2 on issue 523 by pasca...@gmail.com: Animated WebP presents blocking artifacts
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=523#c2

Thanks for the report, i can reproduce the problem.

It seems related to how blocks that are very similar to their colocated blocks in the previous frame are optimized in lossy coding.
The comparison for similarity is done on the original source frame, but not on the coded/decoded frame as will be seen by the decoder.
There's a progressive drift here, leading to visible artifact due to a mismatch between was the encoder and decoder consider to be the previous frame.

The encoder is not decoding the compressed frame to save CPU. We could try to add an option ("-slow" ?) to do that, but we'd need to improve the API first, i think.

For definiteness, i attach a problematic frame #18, as extracted by 'anim_dump'.

Attachments:
dump_0018.png 2.2 MB

yaron… via monorail

Feb 7, 2022, 10:33:52 AM2/7/22
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #3 on issue 523 by yaron...@cloudinary.com: Animated WebP presents blocking artifacts
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=523#c3

similar issue to https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=554

I've tested my suggested fix for issue id #554 with this issue attached input:
for q=90 there are much less blocking artifacts as result maxDiff return 2
for q=91 there are no artifacts as resulting maxDiff return 1 (see attached)

Attachments:
image-out.webp 4.7 MB