FastStone + WebP = I just want it to work.

Jason Carswell

Mar 23, 2023, 2:33:26 PM3/23/23
to WebP Discussion
I just want FastStone to see WEBP files.
Bonus if other apps can too.

There is virtually no good documentation easy to find.
I shouldn't have to join a freakin group to find solutions.

I've downloaded a libwebp-1.3.0-windows-x64 and uncompressed it.
I don't even know if it's the right thing.
There are no instructions.
This should be simple plugNplay.
Why is Google so evil?

Obviously I'm miffed.  For years.

James Zern

Mar 23, 2023, 3:23:58 PM3/23/23
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Hi,

On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 11:33 AM Jason Carswell <mjasonc...@gmail.com> wrote:
I just want FastStone to see WEBP files.

This is supported on Windows 10/11 via Microsoft's Windows Imaging Component [1]. WebP works in many Windows apps (Paint, File Explorer, etc.) thanks to this.

Bonus if other apps can too.

There is virtually no good documentation easy to find.
I shouldn't have to join a freakin group to find solutions.

I've downloaded a libwebp-1.3.0-windows-x64 and uncompressed it.

These are command line tools for experimenting with the format. They allow compressing, decompressing, viewing and webp file manipulation [2][3].
From your comments it sounds like you're more interested in app level integrations. For that it will come down to what each application has implemented. If you have other applications that you're having trouble with, please post them here or consider filing feedback within the application itself.

I don't even know if it's the right thing.
There are no instructions.
This should be simple plugNplay.
Why is Google so evil?

Obviously I'm miffed.  For years.

Jason Carswell

Mar 23, 2023, 5:31:46 PM3/23/23
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
I'm using Win7 and refuse to load more spyware in Win10+.  Mint from now on.

This is beyond ridiculous.  This should be universally simple.

I'll never use WEBP if I have a choice, size be damned.

James Zern

Mar 27, 2023, 7:44:09 PM3/27/23
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 2:31 PM Jason Carswell <mjasonc...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm using Win7 and refuse to load more spyware in Win10+.  Mint from now on.

An earlier version of the Windows Imaging Component [4] should work on Windows 7 with still images. Since Microsoft's support for Windows 7 has ended, distros like Mint may be a better option to keep tools up to date.

On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 3:24 PM 'James Zern' via WebP Discussion <webp-d...@webmproject.org> wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 11:33 AM Jason Carswell <mjasonc...@gmail.com> wrote:
I just want FastStone to see WEBP files.

This is supported on Windows 10/11 via Microsoft's Windows Imaging Component [1]. WebP works in many Windows apps (Paint, File Explorer, etc.) thanks to this.

Bonus if other apps can too.

There is virtually no good documentation easy to find.
I shouldn't have to join a freakin group to find solutions.

I've downloaded a libwebp-1.3.0-windows-x64 and uncompressed it.

These are command line tools for experimenting with the format. They allow compressing, decompressing, viewing and webp file manipulation [2][3].
From your comments it sounds like you're more interested in app level integrations. For that it will come down to what each application has implemented. If you have other applications that you're having trouble with, please post them here or consider filing feedback within the application itself.