Issue 519 in webp: WebPDecodeRGBA does not work on specific image types.

never… via monorail

Apr 30, 2021, 7:30:00 PM4/30/21
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 519 by never...@gmail.com: WebPDecodeRGBA does not work on specific image types.
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=519

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Create a 512x512 rgba PNG image filled with one color (I choose black [0, 0, 0, 255])
2. use dwebp to convert to webp format using the -lossless flag (I don't think the flag matters, not sure)
3. in a c++ script, pull in the data and run "webpData = WebPDecodeRGBA(data, length, &width, &height);"

I expect 512x512x4 bytes in the rgba format. Instead the result is 1 width, 1 height, and null return for webpData.

1.2.0
Both Ubuntu and MacOS return the same result

WebPDecoderConfig config;
WebPDecBuffer* const output_buffer = &config.output;
WebPBitstreamFeatures* const bitstream = &config.input;
WebPInitDecoderConfig(&config);
VP8StatusCode get_features_status = WebPGetFeatures(data, length, &config.input);
output_buffer->colorspace = MODE_RGBA;
VP8StatusCode status = WebPDecode(data, length, &config);

from tests, I broke apart the steps, get_features_status returns 0 and status returns a 3.

1. The project was configured to send all issue notifications to this address

https://bugs.chromium.org/hosting/settings

never… via monorail

Apr 30, 2021, 11:28:27 PM4/30/21
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #1 on issue 519 by never...@gmail.com: WebPDecodeRGBA does not work on specific image types.
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=519#c1

I found the solution from a lot of experimentation:

The real problem is the size of the buffer, if the buffer is less than a certain amount, the algorithm fails. I padded the image buffer with a bunch of 0s and the algorithm worked again.

pasca… via monorail

May 1, 2021, 2:13:08 AM5/1/21
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #2 on issue 519 by pasca...@gmail.com: WebPDecodeRGBA does not work on specific image types.
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=519#c2

Could you please attach the bitstream, so we can reproduce exactly the problem?

Thanks!

jz… via monorail

Jul 3, 2021, 2:12:51 PM7/3/21
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Updates:
Labels: Needs-Feedback

Comment #3 on issue 519 by jz...@google.com: WebPDecodeRGBA does not work on specific image types.
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=519#c3

I tried to reproduce this with a source of:
$ convert -size 512x512 xc:#000000ff black.png
at v1.2.0 and after the palette change was in [1] without any failures using WebPDecode as in the original post and WebPDecodeRGBA (images sizes were 52 and 30 bytes).

Do you still have the source file that was causing issues?

[1] https://chromium.googlesource.com/webm/libwebp/+/b6513fbaa8a3e21d1d726f6c63bbfa76f157b9a2

jz… via monorail

Dec 13, 2021, 8:04:08 PM12/13/21
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Updates:

Comment #4 on issue 519 by jz...@google.com: WebPDecodeRGBA does not work on specific image types.
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=519#c4

Closing this due to lack of activity. If you're still seeing an issue feel free to reopen the bug with the details requested in the earlier comments.