WebP static library for Windows Arm64

Björn Eiríksson

Jun 10, 2022, 7:08:43 PM6/10/22
to WebP Discussion
Does anyone have static library for Windows Arm64 ?

Thanks

Björn

James Zern

Jun 10, 2022, 10:15:28 PM6/10/22
to WebP Discussion
Hi Björn,

On Fri, Jun 10, 2022 at 4:08 PM Björn Eiríksson <bjornei...@gmail.com> wrote:
Does anyone have static library for Windows Arm64 ?

It's not something we've distributed in the past, mostly due to lack of a way to test the build. For now from a Visual Studio command prompt you can try either Makefile.vc or cmake.
Makefile.vc builds to ..\obj.
libwebp> nmake /f Makefile.vc CFG=release-static
cmake can be configured outside of the tree.
> md libwebp-build & cd libwebp-build
> cmake ..\libwebp -G "Visual Studio 16 2019" -A ARM -DWEBP_BUILD_CWEBP=0 -DWEBP_BUILD_DWEBP=0 -DWEBP_BUILD_IMG2WEBP=0 -DWEBP_BUILD_GIF2WEBP=0 -DWEBP_BUILD_EXTRAS=0 -DWEBP_BUILD_WEBPINFO=0 -DWEBP_BUILD_WEBPMUX=0
> cmake --build . --config Release

If you're building under msys2 configure or cmake will work.

Thanks

Björn

Björn Eiríksson

Jun 11, 2022, 5:40:45 AM6/11/22
to WebP Discussion, James Zern
I had tried to build it with the Makefile.vc.

But Windows ARM does not have Visual Studio (yet), so I have to build it from the normal Windows. Adding ARCH parameter to it only built it to ARM64 directory but did not produce ARM64 binary.

I will see if I can figure out the cmake way tonight and see how that goes. Thanks.

James Zern

Jun 13, 2022, 7:26:42 PM6/13/22
to WebP Discussion
On Sat, Jun 11, 2022 at 2:40 AM Björn Eiríksson <bjornei...@gmail.com> wrote:
I had tried to build it with the Makefile.vc.

But Windows ARM does not have Visual Studio (yet), so I have to build it from the normal Windows. Adding ARCH parameter to it only built it to ARM64 directory but did not produce ARM64 binary.

Using "ARM64 Native Tools Command Prompt for VS 2019" on a x64 host the library should be in ../obj/release-static/ARM/lib.

Björn Eiríksson

Jun 14, 2022, 3:52:31 AM6/14/22
to WebP Discussion, James Zern
I got it to work for now. It was a bit messy and definitively not the correct way.  I had CMake make x64 Visual studio project, then I manually fixed the x64 project to Arm64, and added all the Neon files.

I can at least confirm the library does basic open and saving of images on Windows Arm 64.

Thanks again.

Björn

James Zern

Jun 14, 2022, 6:48:58 PM6/14/22
to WebP Discussion
On Tue, Jun 14, 2022 at 12:52 AM Björn Eiríksson <bjornei...@gmail.com> wrote:
I got it to work for now. It was a bit messy and definitively not the correct way.  I had CMake make x64 Visual studio project, then I manually fixed the x64 project to Arm64, and added all the Neon files.

I can at least confirm the library does basic open and saving of images on Windows Arm 64.

Thanks for trying it out. cmake -G "Visual Studio 16 2019" -A ARM64 should save you a couple steps.

If things look all right I can try to integrate this into new releases. I think the example targets might need some work because in the past ARM for windows was assumed to mean WINAPI_FAMILY_PHONE_APP so they won't be built or might fail with cmake.