The Windows Explorer WEBP codec

adit...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2017, 3:33:25 AM8/14/17
to WebP Discussion
So, it seems its now impossible to find and install the WEBP windows explorer codec. I have it installed in my Win10 Build, but when trying to do the same to a friend's so he could easily use the format, I found that google had scrubbed all trace of it from the official site.

Now the only sites which carry that codec are seedy ones. I am sure there must be a reason to discontinue the plugin...but if there was, I cannot find it. Is there any alternative way to enable WEBP support in windows explorer which is user friendly enough for a non-techie to do?

spaceman...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2017, 10:50:02 AM8/16/17
to WebP Discussion
Well I did find the codec, and installed it.  But unlike you Aditya, I wish to remove it from Google Chrome and return to being able to save .jpg files while in Chrome.  Could someone assist us on this issue. I really would like to stay with Chrome as my browser. TY

spaceman...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2017, 10:50:02 AM8/16/17
to WebP Discussion
Aditya here is where I got it at.... https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/download
If you are fine with all your web image content from Chrome being in WEBP codec then go ahead and download it.  This is an Google page so should be fine. But I want my Chrome back the way it was. lol

Phoenix

Mar 22, 2018, 3:54:05 PM3/22/18
to WebP Discussion
You can download the codec pack from https://storage.googleapis.com/downloads.webmproject.org/releases/webp/WebpCodecSetup.exe

If that link ever dies, you can search for these checksums (and verify them after downloading, of course):
MD5: 002d9032cb2881593b20553302eafe05
SHA-1: f11fe47c66873a9d86ff9f6c447e0cd4c7773582

The file has a valid digital signature from 'Google Inc', so it seems legit.

tempor...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2019, 5:44:41 PM7/24/19
to WebP Discussion
THANKS for Sharing thy WEBP Explorer codec, It works fine on Windows 7!!!

Oliver Couch

May 30, 2022, 4:20:57 AM5/30/22
to WebP Discussion, Phoenix
Legend, thanks for the link - this works great! Can now open webP images with windows picture viewer on Win 10.