Gimp plugin for WebP now available.

1197 views
Skip to first unread message

George Edison

unread,
Jun 17, 2011, 3:01:24 AM6/17/11
to WebP Discussion
I just stumbled across the WebP image format yesterday and was very
impressed by the sample images in the gallery and in particular, the
file sizes in comparison to JPEG.

I immediately checked to see if the Gimp (my image editor of choice)
supported WebP, but unfortunately it did not. At that point I decided
to put on my programming hat and write the plugin myself using the
libwebp functions to encode / decode image data. The results of my
efforts can be seen here:

http://registry.gimp.org/node/25366
(Note that I only have the source code for the plugin on the page at
the moment. Binary releases may come later.)

The real reason for posting this is because I thought you might want
to add a link to this plugin on this page:

http://code.google.com/speed/webp/docs/using.html

I noticed that you listed ImageMagick and Photoshop plugins, so I
thought you may want to include a Gimp plugin too now that it's
available.

Thanks for creating such an awesome image format!

Pascal Massimino

unread,
Jun 18, 2011, 12:04:02 PM6/18/11
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Hi George,

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 12:01 AM, George Edison <nathan...@gmail.com> wrote:
I just stumbled across the WebP image format yesterday and was very
impressed by the sample images in the gallery and in particular, the
file sizes in comparison to JPEG.

I immediately checked to see if the Gimp (my image editor of choice)
supported WebP, but unfortunately it did not. At that point I decided
to put on my programming hat and write the plugin myself using the
libwebp functions to encode / decode image data. The results of my
efforts can be seen here:

http://registry.gimp.org/node/25366
(Note that I only have the source code for the plugin on the page at
the moment. Binary releases may come later.)

Excellent! I'm quite used to GIMP too. Any chance you can get this
extension be part of the 2.8 release? (i guess it's too late for 2.7)
That would be great.
 

The real reason for posting this is because I thought you might want
to add a link to this plugin on this page:

http://code.google.com/speed/webp/docs/using.html

I noticed that you listed ImageMagick and Photoshop plugins, so I
thought you may want to include a Gimp plugin too now that it's
available.

The page has been updated with a link to the extension...
 

Thanks for creating such an awesome image format!

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "WebP Discussion" group.
To post to this group, send email to webp-d...@webmproject.org.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to webp-discuss...@webmproject.org.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/a/webmproject.org/group/webp-discuss/?hl=en.


George Edison

unread,
Jun 18, 2011, 10:08:53 PM6/18/11
to WebP Discussion
On Jun 18, 9:04 am, Pascal Massimino <pascal.massim...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Excellent! I'm quite used to GIMP too. Any chance you can get this
> extension be part of the 2.8 release? (i guess it's too late for 2.7)
> That would be great.

Well... that would be a great idea, but considering that this is my
first Gimp plugin, I'm not sure that it matches the standard of
quality that it would need to have to be considered for inclusion in
the Gimp. I should probably talk to someone on the Gimp dev team.

> The page has been updated with a link to the extension...

Thanks!

Vikas Arora

unread,
Jun 20, 2011, 12:14:13 AM6/20/11
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Hi George,

Few observations. 

I got following error from gimp:
GIMP-Error: load handler "file-webp-save" does not take the standard load handler args

Also when I installed the webp-image plugin via gimptool-2.0, the first invocation of gimp shows 'webp' save option in the "All images" selection drop-down. The next invocation of gimp doesn't have the webp save option and I had to run 'gimptool-2.0 --install file-webp.c' again.

Thanks,
Vikas



--

George Edison

unread,
Jun 20, 2011, 1:32:48 PM6/20/11
to WebP Discussion


On Jun 19, 9:14 pm, Vikas Arora <vik...@google.com> wrote:
> I got following error from gimp:
> GIMP-Error: load handler "file-webp-save" does not take the standard load
> handler args

What version of the Gimp are you running and on which operating
system?

> Also when I installed the webp-image plugin via gimptool-2.0, the first
> invocation of gimp shows 'webp' save option in the "All images" selection
> drop-down. The next invocation of gimp doesn't have the webp save option and
> I had to run 'gimptool-2.0 --install file-webp.c' again.

That seems to be a bug. I'll see if I can reproduce it.

Vikas Arora

unread,
Jun 20, 2011, 2:40:10 PM6/20/11
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
The OS is Ubuntu 10.4 (Lucid)

vikas[101] gimp --version
GNU Image Manipulation Program version 2.6.8


--

George Edison

unread,
Jun 21, 2011, 12:11:10 AM6/21/11
to WebP Discussion
On Jun 20, 11:40 am, Vikas Arora <vik...@google.com> wrote:
> The OS is Ubuntu 10.4 (Lucid)
>
> vikas[101] gimp --version
> GNU Image Manipulation Program version 2.6.8

Perfect! I had a virtual machine with Lucid installed and I was able
to reproduce the first problem (with the load handler). I was able to
find the source of the error and fix the problem. I have updated the
source code on the Gimp plugin page and hopefully the second problem
will be fixed as well.

Please let me know if there are any further problems.

Vikas Arora

unread,
Jun 21, 2011, 3:31:03 AM6/21/11
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
George -

Thanks for the fix. Now webp plugin works OK for me on my Ubuntu machine.

- Vikas


--
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages