WebM plug-in for Adobe Premiere

fnor...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2013, 5:19:28 PM6/26/13
to webm-d...@webmproject.org
Hey everyone, I'm writing a WebM plug-in for Premiere and have got a beta to share. Actually, "beta" might be generous. I'm sure there are bugs in there but it hasn't crashed on me today, so I think that means it's ready to post. If you've got Premiere, download the plug-in here:

http://www.fnordware.com/downloads/WebM_v0.5b1_win.zip

(If you don't have Premiere, you can always download the free 30-day trial.)

This plug-in is open source, using the BSD license. See the code up on GitHub, and feel free to help me out! There's also a WebP plug-in for Photoshop in there, which I posted to the WebP group about a week ago.

Here's a screenshot for those of you who like a little visual proof:

(If you look closely you'll see that the selected format is WebM and a few encoding options are available. It can import WebM too, as demonstrated by showing one of the few WebM movies I was able to track down on the web.)

I'd really appreciate some feedback, especially about the kinds of knobs that would be useful to expose in the UI. I want to strike a balance between giving useful controls, yet not making things too complicated.

I think getting WebM support into a program like Premiere is important because it's really a burden if you have to render out a high quality version of your movie before using a tool like FFmpeg to do the final compression. BTW, the plug-in should also appear in Adobe Media Encoder if it's properly installed.

I have much more to say after working on this for the past two weeks straight, but I think I'll save it for future postings.

Brendan

Bib Fortuna

Jun 27, 2013, 11:19:57 AM6/27/13
to webm-d...@webmproject.org
Hi Brendan,

thanks a lot for programming the plug-in! You won't believe how long I have been searching for this solution. I will test the plug-in and giv you a more detailed feed-back.

Holger

Brendan Bolles

Jun 28, 2013, 5:29:20 PM6/28/13
to webm-d...@webmproject.org
On Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:19:57 AM UTC-7, Bib Fortuna wrote:
thanks a lot for programming the plug-in! You won't believe how long I have been searching for this solution. I will test the plug-in and giv you a more detailed feed-back.

Holger

Hey Holger, did you get a chance to try it? I've got a new beta that you should download. It fixes some important bugs relating to my handling of time. It also adds VBR encoding and a nifty text field where you can enter any of the many VPX configuration options that I haven't exposed with UI widgets. Here are links:

Here' what the UI looks like now:

It's feeling pretty solid now! The one thing I'm a little worried about is how I'm reading audio from a WebM file into Premiere. Premiere asks for audio at random times and I don't know how to seek through compressed Ogg audio and guarantee that I start at the exact sample they ask for. Maybe some people on this forum can guide me.

Brendan

Bib Fortuna

Jul 30, 2013, 6:06:11 AM7/30/13
to webm-d...@webmproject.org
Hi Brendan,

sorry, but it took a bit longer to test the plug-in. First of all thank you very much for programming! It works very well. The quality is good. I found a strange bug though, and I wonder if you can reproduce it: I encoded a video of approx. 11 minutes. After the webm-encoding the player told me the video had a duration of 351.909 hours, quite a video :-). When I play the video, the internal timecode counts up until minute 6 and then it jumps to 351.909 hours. Meanwhile the video plays smoothly with no interruption. This bug makes navigating within the video difficult. What do you think?

Holger

Brendan Bolles

Jul 30, 2013, 1:07:28 PM7/30/13
to webm-d...@webmproject.org
On Tuesday, July 30, 2013 3:06:11 AM UTC-7, Bib Fortuna wrote:
sorry, but it took a bit longer to test the plug-in. First of all thank you very much for programming! It works very well. The quality is good. I found a strange bug though, and I wonder if you can reproduce it: I encoded a video of approx. 11 minutes. After the webm-encoding the player told me the video had a duration of 351.909 hours, quite a video :-). When I play the video, the internal timecode counts up until minute 6 and then it jumps to 351.909 hours. Meanwhile the video plays smoothly with no interruption. This bug makes navigating within the video difficult. What do you think?

Thanks for the bug report, Holger. I haven't been encoding movies that long in my testing. I recently made changes to the way I calculate timestamps, and I just posted a new beta link on GitHub. Could you try it and let me know if you get the same bug?

Brendan

thomas...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2013, 4:38:00 PM10/16/13
to webm-d...@webmproject.org
Just stumbled on this. Any progress on this? Is it stable?

da...@iondesign.ca

Nov 20, 2013, 2:07:30 PM11/20/13
to webm-d...@webmproject.org
You are a god Brendan, thank you so much! I can't believe it's taken a week to find this gem of a plug-in.
Any tips on making webm smaller? :)

Brendan Bolles

Nov 20, 2013, 4:50:29 PM11/20/13
to webm-d...@webmproject.org, da...@iondesign.ca
On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 11:07:30 AM UTC-8, da...@iondesign.ca wrote:
You are a god Brendan, thank you so much! I can't believe it's taken a week to find this gem of a plug-in.
Any tips on making webm smaller? :)

I'm not really sure. Part of the reason I made this plug-ins is so I could experiment a bit. The most obvious thing is use VBR encoding and lower your bitrate.

Note that I have a text field for entering the options found in the "vpxenc" utility that comes with libvpx. One thing that jumps out at me is adjusting the keyframe min/max distance settings.

Brendan

David Coates

Nov 20, 2013, 10:40:23 PM11/20/13
to Brendan Bolles, webm-d...@webmproject.org
Like you say, just being able to experiment within Premiere is gold. Thanks so much for that!
Stay tuned for our new site with full screen video and paralax scrolling. It's pretty sweet.

David Coates, CGD, FGDC  |  Partner, Strategist  |  Ion Brand Design
Game changing brands for cities, communities and destinations
+1 888 336 2466  |  Local 604 682 6787 x15  |  placebranding.ca
Certified Graphic Designer – Graphic Designers of Canada

phi...@pentagramfilm.se

Dec 9, 2013, 8:08:18 AM12/9/13
to webm-d...@webmproject.org
Hi Brendan!

Thank you for great work! I've been trying you beta 3 of the webm plugin and found a bug. I can not change the pixle size of the movie. The part where you change that, framerate and pixle format i greyed out. Everything else is editable. I there for intstalled your beta 2 and with that I can change these settings. So something must have happend between beta 2 and beta 3. Have you encountered this problem your self?

All the best and thanks for a great job!
/Philip

Brendan Bolles

Dec 12, 2013, 10:09:30 PM12/12/13
to webm-d...@webmproject.org, phi...@pentagramfilm.se
On Monday, December 9, 2013 5:08:18 AM UTC-8, phi...@pentagramfilm.se wrote:
Thank you for great work! I've been trying you beta 3 of the webm plugin and found a bug. I can not change the pixle size of the movie. The part where you change that, framerate and pixle format i greyed out. Everything else is editable. I there for intstalled your beta 2 and with that I can change these settings. So something must have happend between beta 2 and beta 3. Have you encountered this problem your self?

Hey Philip, there's a "Match source" checkbox at the top of that section. When you uncheck it the parameters you mention should enable. Do they?

Brendan

Brendan Bolles

Dec 16, 2013, 2:49:55 PM12/16/13
On Thursday, December 12, 2013 7:09:30 PM UTC-8, Brendan Bolles wrote:
Hey Philip, there's a "Match source" checkbox at the top of that section. When you uncheck it the parameters you mention should enable. Do they?

OK, I think I might have just seen your problem: in Premiere CC on Windows the Match source control mysteriously doesn't appear. Now I've got it turned off by default, so you should be able to edit those sizes again.

I just posted a new beta, see the ReadMe on Github for links. There are a number of other improvements, for example VP9 encoding actually works now!

Brendan

mi...@fastforwardacademy.com

Feb 19, 2014, 3:36:05 PM2/19/14
to webm-d...@webmproject.org
I am not able to export video, but audio only. Is there a reason for this? I am using Premiere Pro CC on a Mac.

Brendan Bolles

Feb 19, 2014, 4:19:28 PM2/19/14
to webm-d...@webmproject.org
On Feb 19, 2014, at 12:36 PM, mi...@fastforwardacademy.com wrote:

> I am not able to export video, but audio only. Is there a reason for this? I am using Premiere Pro CC on a Mac.

What do you mean? Is the Export Video box disabled?

Brendan

jchich...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2014, 5:36:09 PM3/4/14
to webm-d...@webmproject.org
Brilliant, thank you!

I did a few tests and it seems to be working fine, the only downside is the time it takes to encode. ( I just tried to export a 90s video at maximum quality in VP9 and it's estimating 12h - and going up - VP8 is still a lot slower than H264 compression but looks a bit more usable)

Other than that, I like the controls you've put in the UI, and can't find much to improve on!

Brendan Bolles

Mar 4, 2014, 6:34:00 PM3/4/14
to webm-d...@webmproject.org
On Mar 4, 2014, at 2:36 PM, jchich...@gmail.com wrote:

> I did a few tests and it seems to be working fine, the only downside is the time it takes to encode. ( I just tried to export a 90s video at maximum quality in VP9 and it's estimating 12h - and going up - VP8 is still a lot slower than H264 compression but looks a bit more usable)
>
> Other than that, I like the controls you've put in the UI, and can't find much to improve on!

Yes, VP9 is still very slow. As it says in the ReadMe, you should use 2-pass encoding and put "--cpu-used=2" in the custom options field. But even then it will be pretty slow. With every beta release I update to the latest libvpx, which Google is in the process of optimizing. If anyone from Google has any other tips, feel free to mention them.

I too find VP8 encoding to be slower than H.264. Especially because the 2-pass encoding with VP8 has to go through your entire movie twice while Premiere's built-in H.264 encoder seems to be able to hold onto frames and do a sort of local 2-pass. Either way I believe the bottleneck is in libvpx. How do they compare in FFmpeg? Any Google tips for speeding things up are much appreciated.

Brendan

seidl...@gmail.com

May 2, 2014, 9:51:00 AM5/2/14
to webm-d...@webmproject.org
So far this is the only plugin I've found for Adobe to export webm.  I ran a few tests with it on my Mac Pro using Media Encoder 6 and it worked great.  Now I'm suddenly not able to export (they just fail) and the error log is just telling me General Error.  Is this a problem you've heard about?

Thanks!

Brendan Bolles

May 2, 2014, 1:56:56 PM5/2/14
to webm-d...@webmproject.org
On May 2, 2014, at 6:51 AM, seidl...@gmail.com wrote:

> So far this is the only plugin I've found for Adobe to export webm. I ran a few tests with it on my Mac Pro using Media Encoder 6 and it worked great. Now I'm suddenly not able to export (they just fail) and the error log is just telling me General Error. Is this a problem you've heard about?

No, I haven't heard anything. Can you post details about the settings you're using?

A project + footage would be ideal.

Brendan

Brendan Bolles

Apr 14, 2015, 2:55:33 PM4/14/15
to webm-d...@webmproject.org
Hey everyone, after almost two years of public beta I'm finally calling the WebM plug-in for Premiere released:

Thanks to everyone who tested it and thanks to all you Googlers for making some great open source video tech, and for sometimes helping me figure out how to use it.

What's that, you want an official-sounding press release? Well, I've got one right here. ;)

Brendan

Frank Galligan

Apr 15, 2015, 5:16:05 PM4/15/15
to WebM Discussion
Awesome job Brendan!

Congrats!

zachary...@gmail.com

May 5, 2015, 3:22:15 PM5/5/15
to webm-d...@webmproject.org
Oh my lord thank you thank you THANK YOU. This has really saved my bacon a few times over the past year.

m...@seeblankart.com

Jun 10, 2016, 1:44:48 PM6/10/16
to WebM Discussion
Brendan,
I have installed the plug in, but, I am not seeing the format in the export options. Did I miss something?

Colin

Colin Blankenship

Jun 10, 2016, 2:04:46 PM6/10/16
to webm-d...@webmproject.org
not sure what I missed, but I don't see the option.
installed in the:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore

Capture2.JPG

Brendan Bolles

Jun 14, 2016, 8:37:03 PM6/14/16
to WebM Discussion, m...@seeblankart.com
On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 11:04:46 AM UTC-7, Colin Blankenship wrote:
not sure what I missed, but I don't see the option.
installed in the:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore

Hmmm, pardon the obvious question, but did you restart Premiere? Yeah, I expect to see WebM as an option in that menu with the plug-in installed. Did you run the installer from this page?

Brendan

Colin Blankenship

Jun 14, 2016, 8:44:46 PM6/14/16
to Brendan Bolles, WebM Discussion

Yeah, I have tried restarting three different times to see if it was a cache thing. Let me get proper info to you about this and we can narrow our scope. I will double check my install...
The group I am building the site for doesn't even know about this format; wait, neither do I, but I want to keep up with these trends.
Appreciate the help.

Brendan Bolles

Jun 15, 2016, 1:58:56 AM6/15/16
to WebM Discussion, fnor...@gmail.com, m...@seeblankart.com
On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 5:44:46 PM UTC-7, Colin Blankenship wrote:

Yeah, I have tried restarting three different times to see if it was a cache thing. Let me get proper info to you about this and we can narrow our scope. I will double check my install...
The group I am building the site for doesn't even know about this format; wait, neither do I, but I want to keep up with these trends.
Appreciate the help.

Check if Media Encoder sees it. That path is the shared one for both.

ryan...@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2016, 1:28:52 PM9/8/16
to WebM Discussion
Has anyone been able to make this work with the latest version of Adobe Premiere CC 2015 on Mac? After installation, it allows me to import the files into Premiere but I can't play my timeline. When I try to render my timeline, I get an error: "Error compiling movie. Unknown error."

In Media Encoder, it sees the files but when I try to encode them into a different filetype, it fails each time.

*Handbrake will convert them but will leave out the audio for some reason.
*Brorsoft will start to convert them, get to 97% and never finish

Brendan Bolles

Jun 20, 2017, 1:06:15 PM6/20/17
to WebM Discussion
Hey everyone, I posted an update to Premiere plug-in today. There are several improvements, the biggest of which is alpha channel support, which I reluctantly added after users lobbied me. Get it at the usual place:

estoesco...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2017, 2:10:41 PM6/30/17
to WebM Discussion
Hello Brendan,

I downloaded the mac installer and it goes through the motions but the WebM option does not become an export option in Premiere Pro.  Is the installer supposed to automatically install in the MediaCore folder of CS6?  Or does it install somewhere else and I need to move it to the MediaCore folder.

Thank you

mgaff...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2017, 1:00:13 PM7/31/17
to WebM Discussion
Here's a tip which is in the Presets.txt file read me

These are WebM presets for Media Encoder and Premiere.

Probably the easiest way to get them into their respective programs is simply to import them one at a time.  In the output settings dialog next to the Preset menu you'll find a button for importing presets.

Alternately, you can copy the entire 5765624D_5765624D folder into the presets folder for each version of the applications you have installed.  For Mac and Windows these folders would typically wind up at locations like these:

Mac:
/Applications/Adobe Media Encoder CC 2014/Adobe Media Encoder CC 2014.app/MediaIO/systempresets/5765624D_5765624D
/Applications/Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014/Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014.app/MediaIO/systempresets/5765624D_5765624D

(Right click on the application icon and select Show Package Contents to access the MediaIO folder.)

Win:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Media Encoder CC 2014\MediaIO\systempresets\ 5765624D_5765624D
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014\MediaIO\systempresets\ 5765624D_5765624D

Presets in the "normal" folder can be used in any version of the Adobe programs, while the "match_source" presets should only be used in CC 2015 and later.

vinod...@perfomatix.com

Aug 24, 2017, 1:31:19 PM8/24/17
to WebM Discussion
The link is not opening, Help me out.

00s...@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2017, 12:19:45 PM8/28/17
to WebM Discussion
Thank you very much for your work on this plugin!

xte...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2018, 3:29:49 PM4/3/18
to WebM Discussion
Do you also have a plug-in for Adobe Audition? So that I can open and convert .webm audio files.