WebM video seeking not smooth as MP4 video

Duc Dim

Jan 18, 2023, 9:43:50 PM1/18/23
to WebM Discussion
Hi, I have a FLV file convert to WebM to get transparent background, but when seek the WebM video I realize it's not smooth as MP4 video, have to wait a bit after seeking(I test on localhost), not sure I'm missing something, I use Shutter Encoder to conver FLV to WebM with configuration below(this software use ffmpeg to do the task)
7.png

James Zern

Jan 18, 2023, 10:35:08 PM1/18/23
to webm-d...@webmproject.org
Hi,

On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 6:43 PM Duc Dim <dimavn...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, I have a FLV file convert to WebM to get transparent background, but when seek the WebM video I realize it's not smooth as MP4 video, have to wait a bit after seeking(I test on localhost), not sure I'm missing something, I use Shutter Encoder to conver FLV to WebM with configuration below(this software use ffmpeg to do the task)

Do you see the same behavior if you disable alpha?

7.png

Duc Dim

May 12, 2023, 1:17:44 PM5/12/23
to WebM Discussion, James Zern
Hi sorry for very late reply, if I disable the alpha channel(the background will be blank) the seeking is smoothly, is there any thing that I can do to improve this? Thank you

Duc Dim

May 12, 2023, 1:17:48 PM5/12/23
to WebM Discussion, James Zern
Hi sorry for late reply, yes if I disable alpha, the video seek smoothly, how do I improve seeking when enable alpha chanel?

James Zern

May 12, 2023, 1:35:29 PM5/12/23
to Duc Dim, WebM Discussion
On Fri, May 12, 2023 at 12:33 AM Duc Dim <dimavn...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi sorry for very late reply, if I disable the alpha channel(the background will be blank) the seeking is smoothly, is there any thing that I can do to improve this? Thank you

Try the 'Set GOP to' option in your encoder to a smaller value. The delay is most likely due to the fact that Alpha and Video are encoded separately and their keyframe selection may differ; the ffmpeg wrapper doesn't force a keyframe on the alpha side if it sees one on the video side.
If there are any options indicating delay or lag, set those to 0 too. This corresponds to VP8/VP9 alternate reference frames which may cause issues when seeking the two streams.